SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would anyone be interested in free forum software?

I've been creating a forum software from scratch, but I always slack and don't work on it for months, then get back to it. What should have taken a few months has been taking a few years. It's at a point where the project is not really worth stopping as theres been so much progress.

Maybe this will serve as some motivation for me to continue working on it and release a full blown stable release, if people are interested in it. The site can be found at http://squirrelbbs.iceteks.com and there is a working version on there as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Questionnaire, questionnaire, questionnaire. Three key pieces of advice to ascertain whether or not there is a market for your product.
    TalkPHP.com - The Friendly PHP Community

Watch Reaper Online - Watch Chuck Online

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People hate filling long surveys and stuff, thats why I'm just posting a simple yes/no answer question.

Either way, I want the software for my own use, so it will eventually get done. Eventually. :P

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What benefits would your BB pose over a BB such as phpBB, vB, or IPB?
    Happy switcher to OS X running on a MacBook Pro.

Zend Certified Engineer

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit, for a small project, it is brilliant.

I have sent some suggestions on the forum.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fact, as it's going quite slow, I wouldn't mind helping you out on the development if you want. PM me if you're interested in a bit of help.
    Jake Arkinstall

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the homepage "This site best viewed in a real browser!"...

That's weird, the forum loads really fast for me. Not bad.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah my main goal is efficiency. Probably why its taking me so long as I try to make everything as integrated and minimize queries as much as I can. The issue with my slacking though is I tend to go back and go "WTF" when I see some early code. then spend more time recoding stuff then adding new stuff. But really, its almost all done, at that point it will just be the thing of fixing bugs and doing more thorough testing, and maybe seeing if things can be made even more efficient.

Personally, the advantage of this over all BBs is not only is it free, but its very easy to use. I've admined vb, ipb and phpbb and they all make it a long process to do stuff like ban users. With the global influx on spammers, banning should be as easy as deleting a post. In general all admin tasks are very easy since everything is right in front of you, there is actually no admin panel, as all the options are there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good - you have the motivation.

I have undertaken many projects, some failed, most didn't. The ones that went successfully all had one thing in common - the checklist.

If I would create a forum, I would sample every aspect of forums that I can, including posting, editing, deleting, admining, PMing, Registration, post-addons (such as formatting and smilies), moderating, searching, everything.
    Then, create a checklist listing every handy feature you can.
    Then, on another list, note every problem you find. If the search is slow (cough-vBulletin-cough), list it. If any process is over-complicated, or to simple and you make a mistake, wiping the forum, list it.
    Then, give yourself deadlines of things to create, implemementing the checklist. Make sure you avoid all of those annoying things, and you'll be suprised at the speed it'll be done in.

I have once finished whole projects in days because of the checklist and annoyances, including a class to handle a whole site and it's back-end in a simple call.
    Jake Arkinstall

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I sort of took it on that way, I had a check list of stuff to be done. to be honest, when I was strictly working on that and nothing else, I drilled through one major component per day. I did more work during my christmas break 2 years ago then I did in 2 years, since I was strict on my check list during those 2 weeks. Now I work full time, so 2 week vacations don't quite happen as often.

My search I actually slacked on big time, Its a "to improve later" thing. It's just a WHERE field LIKE keyword query. Will be bloody slow on a big database. Later on I'll read up on search algorthms and better indexing and come up with something better then throwing the entire thing in SQL's hands. Then again, it may stand to not be too bad. Its one thing I did not benchmark much yet. Lot of features I'm keeping simple so I can improve them later.