SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting started with PHP

Where does someone like myself who knows nothing about PHP get started?

I've been learning css and html, and have come across lots of people using PHP to improve the way their sites function. I'd love to learn PHP - but haven't a clue where or how to begin.

Are there any resources for absolute beginners that people would recommend please? Any books that take you from square one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisbee View Post
    Where does someone like myself who knows nothing about PHP get started?

I've been learning css and html, and have come across lots of people using PHP to improve the way their sites function. I'd love to learn PHP - but haven't a clue where or how to begin.

Are there any resources for absolute beginners that people would recommend please? Any books that take you from square one?
    as always kevin yank's sitepoint php book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is always recommended to read Kevin Yank's Build a database driven website with PHP and MySQL.

Another book that I have found extremely handy is Larry Ullman - PHP and MySQL.

There are plenty of resources on the internet to get started as well.
    Just type in learning php in your preferred search engine and go from there.

One site that is great as a reference tool whilst learning is http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp.

Also, joining forums like sitepoint is fantastic and highly valueable as you have a whole community of php users ranging from beginner to extreme advanced to assist you.
    Regards,
    BJ Duncan