User Tag List

Thread: CSS for frames?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question CSS for frames?

Hi. I'm DiDo. I am just learning how to apply my designs to CSS. I built a site portfolio for an artist who has several images and was very proud for successfully using frames in a basic html doc. I was humbled by the failure of Firfox to load the pages correctly - or more accuratley perhaps, my failure to build the pages correctly. I have a very thin basic understanding of CSS but am wondering if there is a way to use it to rebuild the framesets. The link to the site is: www.amandaoliverphotography.com.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Sitepoint Diana

I couldn't see on your website the frames you wanted to replace, but I get the feeling you are just wanting a section of the site with a scroll bar.

If that is the case all you need to do is give an element a height, width and set overflow: auto;

The overflow property tells the browser what to do with content that exceeds the elements dimensions - auto makes a scroll bar appear when / if it is needed.
    auto: scroll; will leave it there permanently.

Hope it helps

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Diana (I'm presuming that's your name, going by what's on the Web site), and welcome to SitePoint!

You're probably not going to like this, but I'd ditch the framesets and go with a content management system with a built in image gallery for this type of Web site. Not only will it be easier for you to maintain, but your client (who's an excellent photographer based on what I've seen so far) won't have to come to you each time a photo needs to be uploaded to the Web site.

The first thing you'll need to consider though regardless of how you go about rebuilding this Web site (which does need to be rebuilt) is how the pages are going to be organized, and then the various sections of each page. Are you intent on keeping the general layout or are you open to a different layout that can showcase your client's photography without feeling like it's lacking in content as well?

(Oh, and please don't forget about us Opera users. There's more of us out there than you think.)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Content Management System

Thank you so much for your help Dan (and Markbrown too!). I figured I would need to rebuild. I have never touched even the idea of content management. Is it fairly easy to grasp for a beginner web builder? I have an account at lynda.com which is how I found sitepoint. I bet they have some courses on the subject.

About the page content: What do you mean by "...lacking in content?" Do you mean graphics or text? I'm always open to new ideas and approaches to the design but my client did want to keep the layout if possible. Let me know if you have anything in mind though - like I say, I'm open.

Thanks again for your reply.

Diana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (just popping in before I head out for an hour or so)

Yeah, I meant text content (mostly).

I'll be back in an hour or so, and then we can talk about this further.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by didoart View Post
    I have never touched even the idea of content management. Is it fairly easy to grasp for a beginner web builder?
    When you install a CMS, it is already a complete website which you can then change. I have been working with many CMS and really like Joomla. You will find many gallery extensions which can be installed on top of Jommla.

If your host offers Fantastico, Joomla and many other CMS can be installed with just a few clicks.

Anyway, CMS is a great idea for such a project.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yea - I've just recently heard about Joomla. Thanks for the tip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with Joomla though is that it's overkill. Especially from a design/logic perspective. I've helped fix a lot of sites that were powered by Joomla which were having all sorts of display problems and was told each time that the appearance was being controlled by the CMS not the theme they were using.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    The problem with Joomla though is that it's overkill. Especially from a design/logic perspective.
    Dan,

which CMS would you recommend?

I have been working with many CMS like Drupal, PHP Nuke, Typo 3, Xoops and also commercial CMS like Macromedia's (now Adobe's) Contribute and found Joomla very easy to "template" (change) and to use.

Wordpress can also be used as a CMS, but I had the problem (if I build pages in another language than English) that some things were hard-coded, so I would have to manually change things after each update.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, Joomla will shortly have a major update to version 1.5 and - as far as I know - everything has been coded from scratch. The current version is still very similar to Mambo (the Mambo people left and created Joomla), but the new version should be ... new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard about Joomla's update but I haven't been paying much attention to it. Hopefully it gets the problems that I've had with it in the past taken care of.

Normally I use WordPress for my (converted to a traditional) CMS of choice but in this particular case it doesn't appear to be appropriate. I'd have to look around.

Any idea when the 1.5 update is supposed to be out?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Any idea when the 1.5 update is supposed to be out?
    It is / was supposed to be out in October, I think.
    Currently Joomla 1.5 is in RC1.

WordPress is a nice, compact program, I just had problems with other languages than English after updating the program.