SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing my DW Template blows up text size?

I figured out my problem! No need to reply - but in case anyone else has this problem, for some reason adding to my template deleted my .css styles at the top of my source for the other pages. Strange.. but that's what it was. I added them back and now everything works fine.

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this is a CSS problem, I'm hoping someone can tell me. I have a .dwt file (Dreamweaver template) and anytime I go into the template to change something (ex: Adding a new div under my footer) It not only makes the change to my other pages as it should, but all of the sudden my font sizes get larger as well.

The fonts all have CSS styles to them, I checked the .css file and it is still set to what it should be, yet it's displaying twice as big now in Dreamweaver AND when I upload the site and test it in a live browser.

If anyone can tell me why this might be happening or how to fix it I'd really appreciate it. I'm kinda new to using CSS and so I'm not sure if it's a CSS problem or what but it is frustrating!

Thanks,
    Tom N.
    Last edited by Tom N.; Aug 24, 2007 at 06:49. Reason: Finally found what was wrong!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you solved the problem.

I'd also point out that you shouldn't use the Dreamweaver layout as a true example of what the page might look like anyway. Test your webpage in Firefox or Opera first as they're the most standards compliant browser and then test your site in IE7 followed by IE6

Testing in IE first or using the Dreamweaver layout panel as your basis for testing is likely to get you into more problems once you start dealing with complex layouts

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks Dave. Yeah I've definitely learned not to trust Dreamweaver's display and to always test in a browser. Lots of goofy things can happen haha. But anyways thanks for the reply and advice! See ya on the forums.

-Tom N.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I suggest testing in IE 6/7, Firefox, Opera and Safari at the same time incrementally as you go down the page template. You'll catch a lot more errors, will be able to write much cleaner code after a while, and will probably find yourself avoiding CSS hacks if you really put your mind to it.