Thanks for your time,

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Design
    I like the site very much. Clean, relatively light weight and effective. Header image is quite large but I tried disabling images and the design still works well without them. You clearly know your graphical and CSS onions. Graphically I only have one small point and that is that with the header image I found the tabs looked slightly too clean and square (and then probably only because I was looking for issues).

You have a nice variety under your "work" page. Just from the thumbnails it seems clear that you're not just a one trick pony.

Content
    I do wonder whether the content is as business orientated as it could be though.

Your home page for example. Very little text. While that makes it easy to take in will your average commissioning businessperson realise what business benefits are realised by the advantages you've listed. I automatically make the leap, you automatically make the leap, most people here will automatically make the leap. However we all spend our days reading and thinking about this stuff. Those who will hire you likely spend their days reading and thinking about their particular speciality.

I'd say the same about the "Why yellowshoe" section of "about". "inferior in many ways"? Don't leave it up to them to enumerate the ways. They might miss some!

Technical
    No canonical name redirect - non-www serves up the same content as www leaving you at risk of duplicate content penalties from the search engines.

Custom 404 page exists and returns the right status but you seem to have forgotten about it in your redesign. Much prefer the new design by the way .

What is the end result of the contact form script? Is it properly secured against hackers/spammers?

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice!! I really like it
    may be you need a "clearer" Logo though that you can put in your header and on your stationary....

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments Fremeere and DT,

I do wonder whether the content is as business orientated as it could be though.
    You're right, the text on my site needs a thorough going over, i'm thinking I want to make it more personal than 'this is the business, and this is what we can do for you'
    I'll definitely take your advice for the Home and About page though.
    Custom 404 page exists and returns the right status but you seem to have forgotten about it in your redesign
    Thanks, I've fixed this.
    No canonical name redirect - non-www serves up the same content as www leaving you at risk of duplicate content penalties from the search engines.
    Thanks, I wasn't aware that this could be penalized.
    --
    may be you need a "clearer" Logo though that you can put in your header and on your stationary....
    Thanks - I'll go back to the drawing board seeing if I can come up with a more clean vector logo. I'll let you know when I get yellowshoe mugs made

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bravo.....

That is all in all an excellent site. It is light and while sometimes teetering to the to technical for the business owner looking for someone else to do the things they either don't have time to do or can't do, but stays just far enough this side of bragging and mental shutdown, mental shutdown being the point that a potential clients eyes start to glaze over because you're talking over thier head, or talking in big terms to try and impress. You don't do that and it is very nice, taking the font to it's largest level and all the pages staying perfectly in tact was true beauty rarely practiced. For it's purpose I think it's near perfect. The bottom links to the validators may have been over kill a bit but probably usefull to the occassional informed customer. The only thing I might consider doing is having them open in a new tab or window rather than leading them away from the page. As for changing it to more business, that entirely depends on what customer base you target the most, the corporate scene or the small business or mom & pop type. Your personal this is who I am and why I am good at what I do is excellent to the small buisness or mom & pop business types. It could have either of the 2 effects at a corporate level. But in my opinion there are alot of corporate wanna be web developpers out there it is refreshing to see the one that hits at the low impact I do good work, I'm a good person and good at what I do level. So you can look at getting some business you wouldn't other wise get with that approach again will lose it from the other end, so maybe even considering a split off point depending on what the individualy is looking for out of a developper

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    pcfactor, thanks for the feedback

I'm pretty certain I don't want to make my business feel 'corporate' so I will work some more on the text and try to appeal to the small business owner as you have described. I'll also be finishing my degree at the end of this year - so am trying to prepare my site and portfolio to show to businesses as a 'sneek peek' to who I am and where my skills are.
    So, it's more of a resume than a site focused on sales and marketing.

All the best,

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love it Mark -- All of it, except there is one thing missing. I would put a second shoe in there, as if you had just taken them off to run free. Now it looks like you dropped a shoe
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A friend commented on that too
    Wouldn't I have to change my business name to yellowshoes in that case?

Thanks Datura, I hold you're opinion in the highest regard.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    A friend commented on that too
    Wouldn't I have to change my business name to yellowshoes in that case?

Thanks Datura, I hold you're opinion in the highest regard.
    Hi -- I think you can keep the name as is. Lay one of the shoes on its side. For your business card and so on you can just stick with the one shoe, but I really think it would add to the appeal to your site to have the pair sitting there

I like the look of your site very much. It has a nice sketchy feel to it.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice design...

dont like your pictures portfolio, try design with good border or something(gradient)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi mark, great design. clean and crisp. good choice of shoe also....work boot, nice.

maybe you need to get a few more portfolio examples in there (which can obviously take time).

I really need to get my website designed but I am always too busy entering sitepoint contests and other freelance work!

keep up the good work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty orional name you got going there.

I like the overall layout on the homepage.
    The shoe stands out real well. (Which is obviously your goal)

Hopefully your portfolio will continue to grow.
    It will give you some more credibility.

Keep up the good work, and best of luck with your business!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all of you,

Jay-S, cheers for the reminder - I've cleaned up the portfolio now and am much more happy with it.
    I've added some more content to the homepage - And I think I will add a right column for Latest Work / Tips etc..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like it. Nice idea for branding, clean and pleasant design. Best of luck in the business

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the main thing the page is lacking is a logo or some form of more obvious branding. Apart from that the only thing that irked me was how the hover state on the main menu looked unfinished after the other states of the tabs. Good work overall, nice design.
    Web Developer & Geek: hybridlogic.co.uk ~ lukelanchester.com

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dachande663, i've heard this comment before - so thanks for confirming it.

I'll work on a clean vector logo to put in the homepage, i've also dropped the backgorund-color change on the menu hover states. Thanks,

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love your design. There is something to be said about beauty in simplicity, and your website captures the very essence. As for your content... well I have to keep my secrets to myself
    Daryl Quenet, Web Developer / SEO Consultant
    Web Design Canada, Link Building 101, Dr MadCow's Web Portal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing about the design, but this really caught my eye.

Why are you calling yourself a "tiny" web design business. It really makes it sound like you're someone sitting in their parents basement designing sites.

Even if it's true, why not put a new spin on it. Say it's a "rapidly growing" web design business. If you had 1 customer last month, and 2 this month, that's a growth rate of 100%.

It just seem's like you're talking down about your own business.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As for your content... well I have to keep my secrets to myself
    Oh, you're one of those.. what a jip

Why are you calling yourself a "tiny" web design business. It really makes it sound like you're someone sitting in their parents basement designing sites.
    .. It just seem's like you're talking down about your own business.
    I actually find it refreshing to see someone taking a different approach to marketing. I think a lot of people would be tired of reading sites that say "We are the best web design business in the world, we can make your dreams realities etc.." The marketing buzz words are not my thing what so ever.. But I appreciate the feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved your old site, but love the grunge one better. However, I miss all the yellow from the old site.

I'd recommend putting your name on the header though. Why does 'yellowshoe' start with small caps in the first para? If it was done for branding it looks more like a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    I actually find it refreshing to see someone taking a different approach to marketing. I think a lot of people would be tired of reading sites that say "We are the best web design business in the world, we can make your dreams realities etc.." The marketing buzz words are not my thing what so ever.. But I appreciate the feedback.
    This is refreshing. Clients are impressed with honesty, and most can easily spot someone who claims to be big company when it's actually a one man show.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has a nice grunge look, but it might be too dark for this purpose.
    Quality FREE Windows Web Hosting
    2 GB Web Space & 20 GB Traffic
    NO banners on your site - Fast servers in
    USA & EUROPE Pre-subscribe@ http://www.freewindowshosting.org

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, I like the design - it is simple and effective.

However, I think it is a bit too simple at high resolution because it leaves my eyes wanting to see more. The content is right in the middle, which is great, but the horizontal lines at the header and footer stretch all the way out to the edge of the browser window and it just looks too empty.

I think a fixed width might do more justice for this style, but that is just me. Other than that, great job.
    http://www.ifshtf.com
    From Apocalypse to Zombies, we've got you covered.

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You REALLY need a logo mate. I remember the site, but I don't remember a logo. It does help with the branding and all. Aside from that, nice site.