SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    video rental site

    Please review, and tell me how to take it from a good site into the most incredible thing you have ever seen.

    Go ahead and make fake usernames to use the rating filter in the customer preferences, and go ahead and go through the order process. No orders will actually be filled.

    www.forodeherbales.com/edge/

  2. #2
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design
    Simple and works for the most part.

    Didn't much like the duplicate navigation on the home page.

    I found the term "People" confusing and had no idea what to expect from it. On the people page one of your "top picked" images is not displaying. When you choose a "person" the term "movies acted" is clumsy.

    I don't know whether it is the case on your browser but on mine when your movies are listed seven at a time I'm getting six on one line and one on another line. Looks particularly odd when I've clicked on a popular genre/letter and I then have a "next 7" results link on the same line as the single movie.

    Don't like the indentation in the right hand column. You can quite easily show what bits of the column belong together by spacing.

    Technical
    I assume that the current domain is not the site's final resting place (at least I hope not) however, currently...You have no canonical name redirect i.e non-www shows the same content as www. This leaves you at risk of duplicate content penalties from the search engines.

    No custom 404 page. The standard 404 page is highly confusing to a layperson and is in any case no help in keeping people on your site.

    Meta tag are the same across the site. They may only have a small potential SEO benefit but unless they are page specific and backed up by on page content they are not going to have even a small SEO benefit.

    Why is your main heading an <h2> rather than an <h1>? And again for the greatest SEO benefit the main heading should be specific to the page not the site.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fremeere View Post
    Didn't much like the duplicate navigation on the home page.
    I didn't really know what else to put there... maybe some more new releases?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fremeere View Post
    I found the term "People" confusing and had no idea what to expect from it.
    What would be a better phrase?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fremeere View Post
    When you choose a "person" the term "movies acted" is clumsy.
    Again what would you put?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fremeere View Post
    I don't know whether it is the case on your browser but on mine when your movies are listed seven at a time I'm getting six on one line and one on another line. Looks particularly odd when I've clicked on a popular genre/letter and I then have a "next 7" results link on the same line as the single movie.
    This is actually going to depend on the width of your screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fremeere View Post
    I assume that the current domain is not the site's final resting place (at least I hope not)
    It is not the final resting spot

    Quote Originally Posted by Fremeere View Post
    Meta tag are the same across the site. They may only have a small potential SEO benefit but unless they are page specific and backed up by on page content they are not going to have even a small SEO benefit.
    I actually hadn't thought about this one

    Quote Originally Posted by Fremeere View Post
    Why is your main heading an <h2> rather than an <h1>? And again for the greatest SEO benefit the main heading should be specific to the page not the site.
    You actually answered this one your self. There is only one <h1> per page and that is the name of the movie or person. That way the main heading is specific to the page and not the site.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Zealot Jay-S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Croatia/Samobor
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    design is ok not bad, u need more content... good luck

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a good start. You definately need to do more with the Welcome page though. And you also need some sort of logo?

  6. #6
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-S View Post
    design is ok not bad, u need more content... good luck
    What kind of content would you add?

  7. #7
    SitePoint Zealot Jay-S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Croatia/Samobor
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  8. #8
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-S View Post
    Thank you for helping me.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Guru dojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    899
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout seems familiar to me .. is this a template? I'd add some images in the header (can't get enough of images ). Lacks content right now, but it's a nice start. Think about a nice logo .. branding is hugely important too

  10. #10
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dojo View Post
    The layout seems familiar to me .. is this a template?
    yes, I am not a designer

    Quote Originally Posted by dojo View Post
    I'd add some images in the header (can't get enough of images ).
    That's a thought, more new releases in the header?

    Quote Originally Posted by dojo View Post
    Lacks content right now, but it's a nice start. Think about a nice logo .. branding is hugely important too
    Again I ask, what content should be added?

  11. #11
    SitePoint Enthusiast knite786's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA - USA
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice idea and cool site.

    I think you could definitely add more to your home page. Instead of the latest release being on the rt., they could be displayed nicely with a reflection in the center. Maybe be a rating module would definitely spark some user interaction.
    I think its a good start, but your main page can grow into something great.

    Sarfaraz

  12. #12
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the rest that the homepage could use some more work. It seems rather empty and the aliased text in the three boxes are distracting and degrade the slickness of the rest of the site. Try making the three boxes larger and with more color. Maybe even add images? And of course try to keep everything slick and clean.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •