I like the concept behind dependency injection, but I don't really see any worthy benefit in PHP. I think Spring over in Java land is great (especially in sizable projects), I love being able to drop in something, change the depedancy in an XML file, and work away. It's handy for testing and messing around. But Java web applications are compiled. I want make a change I have to go through a sometimes complicated build and deployment process.

Java, also, lives on beyond the first request. The overhead added related to dependency injection is usually short-lived (e.g. quite a lot in many cases is gone after application startup).

PHP, on the other hand, is easy to change the code for and it is destroyed after every request. A service locater just seems more appropriate. I don't like it how it intrudes into the code, but in the end, it just seems more reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken View Post
I don't understand -- What do you mean by that? Do you mean to use a service locator?
I would guess he means using getters/setters instead of requiring the information in the constructor.

Quote Originally Posted by lastcraft
Jeff, what problems do you, yourself, currently have?
Let's keep it out of our personal lives, now.