User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local Server PHP Setup Tips?

Hello,

So, I've been php programming full time for getting close to a year. Up to this point, all of these sites were low traffic sites that I had completely finished after launch and have not needed to do any real maintenance. I simply uploaded php files to the server as I worked.

However, now I'm about to launch my first “big” site. I have no doubt that I will be doing extensive upgrades, maintenance, and fixing bugs that somehow pop up. It's clear that I will need some sort of local server solution, but I have no idea where to really start.

Is there a relatively quick and easy way to setup a php server (with the same version as my server, PHP Version 4.4.7) on Windows XP?

So what are you guys using for your php development on sites where you can not use the actual server?

I realize that I'm obviously getting into server land here, but I feel better about getting advice from php dudes than I do dealing with server humans. (Most of them are weird! ).

Thanks,
    Brandon
    Home Recording Forum -
    Make 60% Commission Pushing my new mega system
    Killer Home Recording

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I develop all my applications on my local machine with xampp

except for a few minor winblows restrictions I love it!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get PHP 5.2, if you have the option to do so . I see that you need to match your version to that of the live server which is 4.4.7. I am not sure if you are in the position to upgrade but would definitely recommend it. For faster deployment you can use third party packages like WAMP, XAMPP, wich provides one-click install for Apache/MySQL/PHP and other tools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed you got this far uploading files.
    I've manually setup MySQL, Apache and PHP on WinXP, however like others, I think XAMMP is probably a good approach.

You should also be planning your migration to PHP5. 4 is dead, it's end-of-life has been announced. Don't build anything new for it.
    mikehealy.com.au
    diigital.com art, design . Latest WorkSaturday Morning

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed you got this far uploading files.
    Well, it's been a total pain especially with fighting with unreliable internet connections and such.

I'm looking forward to finishing this project up and getting the local environment setup.

You should also be planning your migration to PHP5. 4 is dead, it's end-of-life has been announced. Don't build anything new for it.
    When does php4 die? ...when php.net people quit updating it or when servers quit using it? Just curious. This is a real issue. I'd prefer to be on the PHP5. I guess I need to be proactive about making sure that sites I program are using PHP5 servers.

Thanks dudes.
    Brandon
    Home Recording Forum -
    Make 60% Commission Pushing my new mega system
    Killer Home Recording

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote from php.net
    PHP 4 end of life announcement

[13-Jul-2007] Today it is exactly three years ago since PHP 5 has been released. In those three years it has seen many improvements over PHP 4. PHP 5 is fast, stable & production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4 will be discontinued.
    The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08. Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to run on PHP 5.
    For documentation on migration for PHP 4 to PHP 5, we would like to point you to our migration guide. There is additional information available in the PHP 5.0 to PHP 5.1 and PHP 5.1 to PHP 5.2 migration guides as well.
    There is also the Go PHP5 initiative encouraging hosts to upgrade to PHP5.

As far as your code goes it quite easy to write PHP4 style code that will also work with PHP5. If you're not already get used to coding with error warnings on and register globals off.
    You can start using newer PHP5 features at your own pace.
    mikehealy.com.au
    diigital.com art, design . Latest WorkSaturday Morning