SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with Mac / IE5 / Flash 5 - Not Posting

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, and would normally introduce myself properly before a wild plea for help, but we've found a serious problem on a site major site which went live last week.

There seems to be a random problem with posting information to an ASP script. Our logs show the ASP script is not being called, so we believe the problem is at the Flash end. It ONLY affects Macs running IE5 and Flash 5. I have seen that there were some problems posting data from Flash 4, but were told these had been resolved for Flash 5.

Running Internet Explorer 5.0 and Flash 5 plugin on MacOS 9.0.4 (although I believe that the MacOS is not relevant here). It works on Netscape okay, but not on IE. I believe that Netscape and IE share the same plugin on a MacOS, so does the fault lie with Internet Explorer?

This site had been tested heavily a number of weeks before launch, and changes were made. It used to work, but now seems not to work under that particular setup.

Can anybody shed some light on this problem?

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Ross Williams
    Ross Williams from WhiteLabelDating.com
    Webmasters - Add a dating channel to your website in minutes
    Earn 50% of all revenue generated - FREE SETUP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what if you try the script from within the browser (enter the location of the script and the variables that need to be posted...e.g. myscript.php?name=Bsqdhjs&sessionID=sdflgjlkj&...)

does that work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw. I heard of a similar bug in IE4.5 for MAC (but never for version 5) a solution there was to replace the POST by a GET method...don't ask me why but it seemed to do the trick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Flux,

Thanks for your help.

The script checks for form variables, but it works fine from an HTML form.

Had seen that problem, and heard reports that flash5 was still buggy in that respect, but can't use Get for security reasons, and I have around 450 characters being passed - believe the max using a Get is 255

Have been playing with it since my first post above, and it seems that the problem was actually caused by loading between layers or some such weirdness. It really was truly, truly strange and we're now trying to move all calls to scripts into the root flash layer.

It really is weird, and only affects macs on IE.

Any other ideas guys?

Ross
    Ross Williams from WhiteLabelDating.com
    Webmasters - Add a dating channel to your website in minutes
    Earn 50% of all revenue generated - FREE SETUP