Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search box will not stay in DIV when viewed in IE 6.0

Hi all,

After hours and hours trying to isolate my problem I am still nothing further.

Attached you will find two screenshots. FF is correct of course and the other is...IE of course which is giving the problem.

The #header tag is having the yellow border and the #searchbox tag is having a black border.

#header (this is the div which contains code for the searchbox that is having a div #searchBox)
    {
    float:left;
    border:1px solid yellow;
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    width:960px;
    height:105px;
    }
    #searchBox
    {
    float:right;
    margin:50px 0 0 0;
    border:1px solid black;
    height:40px;
    width:275px;
    }
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am close to solving the problem.

The searchbox contains a input field and button and it seems that that is giving the problem.

However, I do not understand why. If you put information in a div why is the content of that div then still of influence on the positioning?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't see your screenshots so can't see the problem. (approval takes a while).. is it a padding/margin issue - not lining up? Did you zero out the margins/padding on the form element and then apply only to the elements that require margin/padding?

Sorry if I'm off base, but a bit more info may get you some help faster

Nadia

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nadia p for your answer.

It had nothing to do with padding or margins. I find out that it had something to do with divs??

I was trying to modify a theme made by someone else and he had put the search box in a number of divs. So he had put a div to hold the div of the serachbox and in that searchbox div there where classes for button and textfield etc. I still not get it but after removing the extra holding div I was able to get the search box back in the header where it belongs.

The things is. Is it possible to get funny results in IE when you use to many divs? (it was kinda late for me yesterday so maybe I altered something else as well )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you If that particular div had any styles attached to it, depending on what they were, yes IE could have thrown up a bug or two - doesn't it usually <lol>

Nadia

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I did not find any styles attached to that div. Anyway...I will keep this drama in mind when IE 6 starts to find its own rules.

Before starting CSS I never thought about the fact that for designers it is sometimes difficult to comply to every browser. On the other hand....sometimes it is kinda fun to solve a problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TManagement View Post
    Before starting CSS I never thought about the fact that for designers it is sometimes difficult to comply to every browser. On the other hand....sometimes it is kinda fun to solve a problem
    Unless you've pulled out all your hair or thrown the pc out the window because that little ol' bug just won't let itself be found ( at least not immediately :-)

Nadia