User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how often do you write a new article

On my site i write a new article every two weeks. i often read that you better post an article every day, thats quite a lot, but has anyone already experienced it, that increasing the number of articles also attracts more visitors (especially from search engines).
    I want to increase my writings to once a week or twice a week, but this only when it has any effects...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It works with one Change a day

Google crawl Likes changes and if your website is changed everyday its better. Writing an article will add a new page but that does not indicate that the existing page has changed. This is what google is looking for most of the time. For instance if you have written a new article, and if your home page has already been crawled, Changing the home page with the link to the current document will get google crawling your web page. This is in most cases true when its a blog. It may vary a lot when it comes to a website (Depends on the credibility of the website and how often its crawled already and also the total links to the site and many more).

The final line... the more the updates to your site the more frequently google crawls the site. Please note that this may have nothing to do with your Page ranks or Placement/Positioning of your web page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by design2host View Post

The final line... the more the updates to your site the more frequently google crawls the site. Please note that this may have nothing to do with your Page ranks or Placement/Positioning of your web page.
    Rightly said!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wrote about at least 2 articles /week before for our school site.. now I'm tired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is quite obvious that an increase in posts would attract more visitors. More topics encompassing more people. More articles making their way around the Internet. More articles means more keywords for search engines. However, as you rightly said, one article a day is requires a lot of devotion to your website. Really, as long as you post articles regularly - such as one article every three days, then your visitors will recognise this pattern and know when to visit. That keeps your existing visitors happy in hope of them flashing your link around in places you would never have imagined.
    TalkPHP.com - The Friendly PHP Community

Watch Reaper Online - Watch Chuck Online

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Wildhoney... you want to keep your visitors returning often enough, so posting every few days is good to show users that your content is up to date and the blog is "live"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more articles you write the better. It's good to change frequently to get crawled. It might be very difficult to do that daily, You can try renewing your old articles and feature them later on, or you outsource your writing.

SitePoint Enthusiast gqlawyer1970's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree that it is better to write frequently, but you also want to make sure that quality does not suffer. My opinion is that if quality suffers because you are trying to write to much that is bad because it will turn readers off and not provide positive linking opportunities for the content you are putting up.

-Gene

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinging services...

After a significant additon to my blog, I always use Ping-O-Matic to draw spiders to my site. The key is "significant" addition...you can find yourself in trouble if you ping too often, or if the changes are just minor.
    Premiere Software Resource
    FREE Webmaster & Internet Marketing Software Solutions
    PremiereSoftwareResource
    Newbie-Guide-To-Internet-Marketing-Series-Blog

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have started blogging about 3 weeks ago and I'm writing an article every two or three days. Most people write articles just to have some changes on their website. I only write when I have something interesting to say.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    feedburner has a service that notifies technorati, newsgator, my yahoo, bloglines and ping-o-matic when you update your blog.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to blogging aswell, so thanks for answering my un-asked questions.! I have been trying to keep my blog updated with whatever is doing the media rounds at that time, but I also include stuff I did on the weekend. Maybe it would be better to keep it to one topic, like Celebs, sports etc?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always write one article every week if i have time. It worked well when i added my new article on my site or other article directories. So i will add more articles on my sites as possible as i can in future.
    Macro Expert
    handle repetitive/routine works http://www.macro-expert.com/
    http://mouse-recorder.macro-expert.com/
    GS Typing Tutor-Learn to touch type at http://www.typingstar.com/

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by design2host View Post

Why would anyone need more frequent crawls if not for improving the positioning of the site?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about it for second, think of all the major sites...ESPN, Google, Yahoo there content is updated so much every hour to keep you up to date with everything. Now, don't get me wrong they are the BIGGEST sites!

But, do you see my point, do you want a average okay site, or are you wanting to become the best and biggest site around! I know and saw results when I was adding content at least once a day! It truly does get seen and noticed.

I have heard of some blogs post 4 to 5 articles each day! So I would test it out for yourself to add some content each and everday for a month and see what kind of results you get for yourself!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is good to post one article daliy as search engines loves the fresh content.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do it religiously about every other day because i know that sites/blogs that are updated are easily to rank as well as it benefit site visitors because you provide them fresh content

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site change does seem to be important in attracting search engines. However, the change need not be large. For example,and just in terms of search engine attraction, changing an alt tag or a graphic can be sufficient, and if relatively minor changes occur regularly though not in a preplanned way, the search engines can be trained, as it were, to revisit your site. Mind you, I'm not sure how important it is to just train the search engines to visit your site. Still, it isn't always necessary to hammer out an article to get the attention of the SEs. Important for people traffic, to be sure.

Just another thought. On some other thread, I think on SP, someone mentioned having a blog earning around $200/month in Adsense. When asked how often he posted, the reply, if I recall, was in the beginning 15 to 20 times a day. Now, I have no idea what sort of blog this was or of the kind and word count of the posts. There was also no mention of what else he might be doing to promote the blog.

Evan
    Last edited by davisec52; Sep 25, 2007 at 16:44. Reason: To add additional comments.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading this post, the impression of article writing is:

More article submissions/updated content induces spiders to crawl your site more often. Theoretically, it will create more keywords, attract more visitors - all good things for webmasters.

However does anyone know if this will actually raise a page's rank in SERPs? My impression is that it won't at all but I really can't tell. I would imagine that Google would give a better SERP ranking to those sites which have better content, but I'm not sure after reading all of your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Each page is ranked separately. Adding new articles to your site will not necessarily increase the ranking of the existing pages but should still increase your visitors as there are more pages for them to find.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep on creating new articles on my blog. The frequency is an average of 3-4 posts per week. I feel google crawls my blog at a great speed but not much luck on a great number of visitors yet.. though i get around a small number of visits from google for some keyword searches..

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been studying this myself, and have been trying to add about 6 articles per week to one of my websites. So far I get crawled about once every 10 days, but I am hoping to see an increase.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends. You don't want to push your excellent content down before it can be disseminated to it's full potential.

2 to 3 times a week is usually enough.
    CrowdedText.com - Writing Contests

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only worth adding quality content, and it's really difficult to write ti everyday.

SitePoint Member internetauthor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I update my blog twice a week. I'd love to do it more often, but client work gets in the way. I'm working on a new site that is updated a few times a week.

As far as SERPs are concerned, the more change the merrier, but remember that you are writing for people, not search engines. (Unless, of course, you are writing keyword gibberish for search engines )
    Rebecca Garland - Freelance Writer