SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP header location redirect cause of firefox freezing (?)

We've been having trouble with Firefox freezing up (sometimes) when we click a link/button in our CMS which does a instant header location redirect in PHP.

We've had the problem for some months but they didn't occur much so we didn't mind to much. I just started noticing it happens when we feed the browser an header location redirect.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? (IE does not have this problem)

ps: I wasn't sure where to post this, so I've put it in PHP but feel free to move it to a another location if needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the header() is getting stuck in a continuous loop. Although after a while you should see an Apache error notifying you of too many redirects. Maybe it is not the header() at all but a continuous loop, such as a for loop. We will really need to see a snippet of code to diagnose it properly.
    TalkPHP.com - The Friendly PHP Community

Watch Reaper Online - Watch Chuck Online

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildhoney View Post
    Perhaps the header() is getting stuck in a continuous loop. Although after a while you should see an Apache error notifying you of too many redirects. Maybe it is not the header() at all but a continuous loop, such as a for loop. We will really need to see a snippet of code to diagnose it properly.
    It's certainly not a loop the problem occurs only in Firefox so if it was a loop this problem would occur on all browsers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try installing the FF Live HTTP Display extension and watch the headers in action. The result may give you a lead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may just be your Firefox. Does it happen on any other websites? Please show us the snippet of your code so we can analyse it.
    TalkPHP.com - The Friendly PHP Community

Watch Reaper Online - Watch Chuck Online

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Metho, I've tried Live HTTP headers but can't replicate the problem ... typical.

Wildhoney, everyone in our office has the problem so it's not just my firefox.

I'm gonna try to replicate the error first when the live header extension enabled ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn off all your extensions just to make sure its not one of them. Do them one by one. I know its a pain but I have had similar problems before and ended up being an extension causing the issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    Turn off all your extensions just to make sure its not one of them. Do them one by one. I know its a pain but I have had similar problems before and ended up being an extension causing the issue.
    What extension was causing the problem?
    The only extentions we all share at the office is the webdeveloper toolbar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never had web dev toolbar cause a problem. The last time it turned out to be browse images. However I think it was more to do with headers that were being sent and taking advantage of output buffering fixed any of the issues. I know its not the best solution but you could also use a meta tag re-direct with a 0 delay as an alternative. I know its not the best and it means a useless page load but just offering another solution.