SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on the subject. If it were something like auto quotes i would want the info to be brief yet informative. If it were time travel debate then i would want there to be alot of info to read and many informative opinions . It all depends on the subject matter and the reader. There is no set point of length.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no magic number, but as you can see somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 words is a good legnth.

However, should your article require a greater length, to get the point across, I would suggest breaking it up into multiple parts. This does a few things. 1) It gives your publisher not just one work, but rather, 3, 4 or however many parts you might have. 2) It breaks up your article into more palatable chunks, which is especially helpful for busy managerial types. 3) For those same managerial types it improves your chances of having your entire article read and 4) exposes you and your by-line to the reader more than once!

Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    I assume that in general people rarely read long articles, unless the topic really piques their interest. On the other hand, an article of just a few sentences is probably not going to create a big buzz. Are there any good rules of thumb for deciding a good length for your article?
    Josh Ewin, Director of Marketing
    Solar VPS - The Best Price to Performance Ratio In Cloud and VPS Hosting

Business Growth *******s, Inc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Length of an article depends on it's purpose. The point you want to get across, the audience, whether you want to sell something with it or not.

And also your writing style and the media it gets published in. Articles in books or the better magazines can be quite long. But you know people are going to read them, the readers of the magazine are interested in the subject anyway. Plus they're used to the format and the length of those articles.

People on the web are just like that. Some are used (by the sites they visit) to read long articles. A lot of people here don't read much more then 500 words.

Know your audience and all other variables. Then write your article.

Hope that helps,

Dave

SitePoint Enthusiast gqlawyer1970's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the blog I write on patent law I decided to write longer pieces for the most part. There are a lot of patent blogs out there that are very short. What I find is that they do not have a lot of analysis and just report facts. That is good, but I wanted to do things differently.

So the answer to the question about how long really depends, in my opinion, on what it is you want to accomplish. I wanted to provide value added, which requires analysis. When I write about a case I want my article to be a substitute for reading the case, to the greatest extent possible.

Patent Practice Center Blog

-Gene

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly depends on content you have

It just depends upon how much contents you do have for writing. If the article is big, seprate it into paragraph and heading. The people who dont want to read big article, just read the topics they like in paragraph. Any artile could be good. if it has good presentation

Thanks
    http://www.globaleyeglasses.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    300 - 500 words is good. Add a camtasia video or screenshots if it's on your site for max results.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say 400 to 500 for articles for distribution. Most people, rummaging through articles need and want quick and relevant information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    400 or 500 words seems to short. I wrapped up an article for a magazine last week and had to take it down from 1,700 to 1,000. Admittedly, the article didn't loose too much value with the reduction - but I felt that it could have been much better at around 2,000 - 2,500 words.

I suppose though, with print, you have a captive audience in some respects. The attention span of someone reading a magazine is probably a little bit longer than someone reading a blog post.
    Josh Ewin, Director of Marketing
    Solar VPS - The Best Price to Performance Ratio In Cloud and VPS Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to sound like a broken record - but I think it was iterated very well by a few members here. Content should be good enough to capture the reader's attention and keep them interested. If a well written article is broken into multiple pages, then all the better (even boost the pageview count with enough traffic).

Personally, I feel that 500-1000 words is generally within the range, however, I have to say that is more of a loose guideline rather than a rule.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on your writing style too. If you create ngaginga nad esay to read articles, People will normally follow through. I have seen very helpful and informative articles that ranged from 350-500.
    Maybe you could do a short version and a full version, the smaller linking the full one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no one answer. It depends a lot on what style you are using and how much information you have to get across. If the site has an informal, conversational tone it can take longer to get all the information in. If you are writing an AP style article that sticks to the facts with no opining, it can be considerably shorter.
    The Writer Site, my site for writing samples.

The PLR, my new PLR site. Categories are regularly being added.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that this is an old thread, however thought that I would throw my 2 cents in. I've been writing article offline for some time now, and have recently moved into online. There is a substantial difference between the new mediums. For offline i'd suggest around 1,000 words, and for online around 500 words. Of course, this is all dependent on the content. Keep your article relevant and to the point.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me, I think there's no minimum numbers of characters to be considered as an Ideal Article length, in fact there should be no ideal article length for as long as you describe the topic on your article properly and every reader who stumble upon it will be able to understand what you have to say.
    Hottest Printers and Computer deals

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like to keep blog posts 250-350 words and actual articles 450-700

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our article website, we generally will break articles that are over 500 words up in parts based on 350 word increments on the articles we write. If one of our authors writes the article we suggest it, but it is not mandatory. Most people won't read an article that is over 500 words unless they are extremely interested in the material. Plus if it is too long, you affect the time it takes to load the page.
    Submit Your Finance Articles To Finance News Today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The length of your articles should be natural. This also boils down to the amount of code on your pages. If you don't suffer from code bloat then an article of 400 - 500 words will be fine. A minimum bench mark I have heard of before is 350. The main thing to remember is to add value.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think 200 words are enough
    Last edited by enkass132; Jan 22, 2009 at 11:46.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very informative thread. Thanks for sharing. I always figured 400 was an average, proper amount.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My article usually only 250 - 300 words.But keyword rich not keyword spamming.I can see increase in my serps recently.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to use 300 - 500 words with keyword using h1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    500 words seems to be the norm from what I have seen.

SitePoint Addict Divisive Cotton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No more than 500 words for an item for an article directory... and usually about the same for a blog post. You shouldn't really write more than that for the internet unless it is something special - when on online people don't really have the attention span for long articles
    Let everyday be Christmas

SitePoint Enthusiast SubmitMyBlog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, if it is an article for your site, shoot for 500. If it is an article for submission, 300 words is perfect

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a writer, I would like to write long articles, in which I can develop my theme gradually and thoroughly, but none of my employers will let me do that. So I write 150-500 words articles, which I suppose is the longest an article can get before the attention deficit disorders start losing interest.