SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning JavaScript properly and the right way.

Firstly I am a complete n00b where JavaScript is concerned, I have dabled with it but haven't done anything too fancy with it. I want to and need to learn it properly but I am unsure as to what book(s) to get, can any of you recommend a couple of great books that explain and teach you JavaScript in as straight forward a manor as possible - I have always found it a tricky language to try to learn and found it rather confusing which has resulted in my shying away from using it, so I am after something that is as clear as possible. Something like Kevin Yanks book on PHP/MySQL but applied to JS would be just the thing I am after . What would you recommend?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about Kevin Yank's book on JavaScript? It's called 'Simply JavaScript' and you can download the first few chapters for free. It's very clear and straightforward and will certainly teach you 'the right way' if you're into best practices and web standards.
    Another good book, along the same lines, is DOM Scripting by Jeremy Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another good book is 'PPK on Javascript', although you may want to read one of the 2 books recommended by r51 before tackling this one.
    Keith Rousseau

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r51 View Post
    How about Kevin Yank's book on JavaScript? It's called 'Simply JavaScript' and you can download the first few chapters for free. It's very clear and straightforward and will certainly teach you 'the right way' if you're into best practices and web standards.
    Another good book, along the same lines, is DOM Scripting by Jeremy Keith.
    I'll second that. I'm not sure how easy it would be to learn from if you don't have any knowledge of Javascript when you start, but I loved it. I had been writing with Javascript for a little while and thought I was hot stuff when it came to js. Then I read 'Simply Javascript' and realized how much I was missing, and just how naive I'd been.

I'd been writing event handlers inline into my HTML when I should have been using event listeners. Object literal had meant nothing to me. Simply Javascript opened up a whole new world to me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I think I will go for the sitepoint book and maybe one of the other ones.

SitePoint Enthusiast tenfingers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Peterson is to field guides, SP is to... well, let them speak for themselves.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll third the recommendation for Simply JavaScript. It won't make you an expert, but it starts at the very beginning and it teaches you to do things the right way. It's a very good book to start with.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane