SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to add a searchable database to a website?

Hi

I've got a model agency and I've got a basic flash website.
    However I'd like to add a searchable database of my models for clients to use online.
    What is the easiest way to do this?
    Would the best option be to rebuild the entire site in something like Joomla?
    Or would it be easier to just have the search page in html and have that linked to a mysql datatbase?
    And how easy would it be to update? All help and advice gratefully received.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of features of Joomla that I think you don't need. Making a search page is your best option. In addition to that you have to add an area where to update you records.
    Ebay API, OSC/CRE/OscMax/ZenCart/SEO Services
    Lucki Multimedia - Email

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I am not an expert on searching, I can say a few words.

Firstly, If you are completely satisfied that a ready-made solution is just what you need, you can go that way, otherwise you will have much more control over something you build.

Search results from different tables can be aggregated in a single page. And if you build the search thing yourself, you will have more options on how it should work, e.g. criteria etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is bound to be a pre-written system for this, or something that could be modified for that purpose (such as a photo gallery script).

If you do it yourself, do some research on implementing tags and tag clouds.

From what I have read MySQL full text search is the best way to go, however there are some specific table structure issues to look for. Generally it is considered best to maintain a good many to many relationship between search items and tags which requires at least two if not three tables. Search Google for "mysql tagging system" and you should get enough hits to get started.

The rest just involves storing enough information stored on each model to have a useful search. The images are secondary to the data, concentrate on getting complete data.