SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best PHP Framework?

Which according to you is the best PHP framework out of these three options:

1. ZEND
    2. Symphony
    3. Cake-PHP

Which one is the winner?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither of them is better then the other. There is no best.

For one to be the best everyone in the world must agree that it is. And that is not going to happen anytime soon.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with [ logic_earth ]

no one the best

the best that will make all u need

maybe u want to have a look here

Framework Comparison Chart
    Mohamed ...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to read: glue vs. full-stack frameworks.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CodeIgniter VS CakePHP

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same boat, its about time to start using a framework. I've looked at several (thanks Hawy PHP for the link).

I've been trying to narrow my decision on which framework to begin with based on the information provided by the developer and their site :

1) Does the site have video tutorials to give you a good overview of what a framework is, what it does, and how it is implemented.

2) Is the documentation for the framework easy to understand.

3) Is there a good online community forum where you can ask questions and get help.

4) Does the site provide links to sites that actually use the framework (note: most of the example sites I have seen look pretty crummy -- which makes me think the developer is so overblown dealing with the framework that they aren't putting much time into good design -- just speculation)

First, I looked at ZEND, it looks dang complicated for someone stating to learn their first framework. I couldn't find sufficient information on an overview, some basic tutorials etc, all the documentation simply looks like a huge reference manual.

Second, I looked at CakePHP. It looks promising, however, I couldn't get any of the videos to play in FF or Safari (the play button for quicktime is chopped off)...I also tried to go through the documentation, but, the site just keeps timing out. Might be a site maintenance day or something, but I couldn't even find a link to the web master to report the problem. So, at this point I'm uncertain about Cake.

Third, comes Symphony. I really like their site. They provide good video introductions about the framework along with good documentation, a large community of users, in addition you can find a printed book (or view the one online). It looks like a large framework, and probably will take a bit of time to get it down. I watched the video on building the blog a few times, it looks like a lot of command line work -- suffice to say, if your comfortable with the command line and have a few days of spare time, for me it might be a good choice.

Fourth, I looked at code igniter. From the example videos and the excellent documentation, it looks like the best "first" framework to learn, especially if you are about to start developing a new site for a client. I really do love all the information and simplicity of this framework.

In conclusion, from my findings and being new to the concept of using a framework for php, I'll probably start with code igniter, use it for a few months, then begin to feel out if it is worth moving to symphony.

Anyways, that was my findings, maybe it will give you some things to consider as you explore what best meets your needs.
    intragenesis, llc professional web & graphic design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ holmescreek :
    You r welcome any time

i have used ( CodeIgniter ) in some projects it's very easy and comfortable
    and the documentation is very helpful.

but now i have built my own MVC System it's very simple but i love it
    and before i build it i have read v.important articles about how to build your own MVC System

like this --> Building a Simple MVC System with PHP5

and u must look here its for Rasmus ( Father Of PHP )
    Rasmus - The [ No FrameWork ] Framework

i don't post this links to start building your own mvc

but to know what is the main structure of any mvc

after u read it , u decide (1) - [ build your simple ] or (2) - [ use the Others ]
    and the second is the best if u want to make any project as fast as u can

--------------------
    note : i'm so sorry 4 my english -> Look at My Location & you will know the reason
    Mohamed ...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks holmescreek (for the research), HAWY and iulian for the information.

I agree it’s a bit tough to decide which framework is the best when there are so many options available. I think you can't make a decision unless you try the thing yourself. Yesterday I looked at CodeIgniter and Zend and feel that CodeIgniter is better than CakePHP and Zend in terms of documentation and support. Zend is a bit complex as also mentioned by holmescreek.

Though CodeIgniter lacks support for AJAX as shown in the comparison chart, but still it’s a good and easy option to start with.

HAWY - accept my best wishes for your personal framework.

Thanks again.

-Viv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if anyone can shed some light, in terms of performance and scalability, from experience working with cakePHP or CodeIgniter.
    Luthfur R. - Web Developer
    PHP Lite.com - Professional PHP Scripts and Web Applications
    Calendar Express 2 - Web Based Calendar and Event Publishing System

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of those frameworks are pretty robust , and pretty heavy. I would imagine that ZEND is probably the lightest of all of them ..

Symfony is probably the most documented one but probably the heaviest.

My opinion is that most of the off the shelf frameworks end-up being too heavy, since they try to do everything.
    IQStaffing - IT Recruiter
    - Need an IT job? let us find you one!
    http://www.iqstaffing.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be interesting to also keep an eye on Kohana. It's still in development but should become a very lightweight PHP5 framework.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'Building a Simple MVC System with PHP5' page can still be found in the archive (.) org (can't post urls to sitepoint yet)