User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike-Insurance.org

Hi All

I have a very basic site for selling bike insurance in the UK at bike-insurance.org.

My question is what do you think I could add to make this site a bit more exciting?

Thanks for any comments

Accelerator

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

There are some pretty bad issues with the site. I'm sure many people after me will mention the use of tables and how bad they are to use in your design.

To be honest, the site does not interest me or excite me in any way (boring).

The colours are pretty dull and the content is also pretty low at the current time.

I'm sure bike owners would be better off finding out about these companies rather than visiting a site with 3 links. Since these insurance companies are well known across the country I really doubt someone would not have heard of them before.

If you want to carry on with the site, I'd try and incorporate some kind of compare feature that would allow visitors to see what the best deal is for them. A rating / review system would also be of use.

I assume you aren't familiar with php / mysql coding so here's a beginners guide to get you on your way with it.

HudZilla

A good intention, but no where near finished.

I'm reviewing the site and not you, so don't take personal offense from this.

Kind Regards,
    -Matt

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree with Popcorn that the creation of this site was a good intention but I don't think it is bad. It's not flashy but it gets you the info you need, if you are looking for bike insurance.

So keep working on it and I'm sure everything will improve as far as design goes.

Keep it up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Comment

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first glance your site looks like an affiliate site. A closer look confirms this. I am not a fan of affiliate programs, but they do work for some people. There are a lot of thing you need to fix here.

First, realize that you are supposed to blend in the affiliate links into your site. Currently, the affiliate links ARE your site.

Think about what your site should offer. I would suggest articles mainly, but you could also add a forum or blog. I would suggest you write some article and/or take some from ezinearticles (and obviously link back to source, if allowed), and build a library. Then, integrate the affiliate links within your site.

Obviously you will need a completely new layout too. Drop the tables, use divs. There are many many many tutorials online about how to use table-less sites. If you cannot code at all, just take one of these exactly as they are. It is better then what you have now.

Recap:
    1) Get a new layout
    2) Build content with articles
    3) Maybe add blog or forum?
    4) Integrate your affiliate links in the site seamlessly

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the concept. Have a very expensive bike and searched for insurance. Here you are hitting right on spot. Can do better with colors on site though

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well its to simple, no new no about us, you need to add much more.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with the site is that it doesn't really offer anything. This is going to be bad for both gaining traffic and getting good search rankings.

When visitors come to the site and just see a few links going out to other sites, with no real information or content, it highly degrades the value of the site. If the content on the site is worthless, the site is worthless.

If you're going to build this kind of site, you need to offer information and content that would interest your target audience. Maybe have articles about the do's and dont's on bike insurance, or common mistakes. Have a section where people can rank different providers, comment on them, and review them.

These are just a couple ideas, but the site needs to offer SOMETHING, otherwise there's really no point in having it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing the site wouldn't be a use to many people, especially ones looking for a quick answer, rather than going here and then here, etc.

Also someone else mentioned the use of tables, which is frowned upon in todays age.
    iPhonevine.com - We make applications grow.
    Providing design services for iPhone developers.

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is your 2nd site, and you've still got the same issues.

You really need to go find a web designer/developer/webmaster/web company to do this stuff for you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site very simple!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could add an appraisal guide so people know how much they might need to insure their motorcycles for. That would probably also get you a whole load of links.