User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Store data from RSS feed in database

Hi,

Can anyone point me towards a tutorial or any existing code for taking data from an RSS feed and entering it into a database along with some custom data of my own? I did some searching around on Google but the code that most sites linked to was on a website that seems to have closed down

I was hoping to run a script once every 20 minutes or so that grabbed any new information from a feed and entered it into my database. I assume this is possible?

I am a beginner so please bear that in mind when linking to anything!

Thanks a lot.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, probably you are going to use CronJob (for triggering a script every 20 minutes) and DOM to actually parse the RSS feeds. So yes, the keywords you need to focus on are 'CronJob' and PHP DOM functions (or possibly simpleXML). Google them!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kailash Badu View Post
    Well, probably you are going to use CronJob (for triggering a script every 20 minutes) and DOM to actually parse the RSS feeds. So yes, the keywords you need to focus on are 'CronJob' and PHP DOM functions (or possibly simpleXML). Google them!
    Hi,

I'm fine (I think) with CronJobs and have used them before several times. I will look into PHP DOM functions now.

Thanks