SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this was the sunset tonight. In the opposite coming from the east rumbled a thunderstorm.

Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot I had this one. Unfortunately it was taken with my old Kodak 2.1 MP through an office window (i.e.: reflection).

They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still looks great though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a nice sky malikyte. May I suggest a thing?

When you divide a picture the way you did, pretty much cut in half by two elements, the sky and the dark skyline, you flatten the picture, you take dynamic away. I would have divided the picture 2/3 sky, 1/3 skyline. Just my experience as a painter and graphic artist.

Those kinds of rules apply to all images, and it is a very helpful thing to know those when you are out there taking pictures
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonight the sunset looked very much like the one from yesterday. But the east had an interesting thunderstorm blow off going on.

Ulrike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should simply apply the Golden Section in my mind when taking pictures, but I find that I'm taking the pictures first, then if I care, I apply it afterward. If I modified that picture (rather than rush to upload it before I left work), I probably would have taken a 6:4 sized portion of it from the top left corner cutting off 1/2 of the cityscape.

I'm jealous of your cloud formations.
    They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by malikyte View Post
    I should simply apply the Golden Section in my mind when taking pictures, but I find that I'm taking the pictures first, then if I care, I apply it afterward. If I modified that picture (rather than rush to upload it before I left work), I probably would have taken a 6:4 sized portion of it from the top left corner cutting off 1/2 of the cityscape.

I'm jealous of your cloud formations.
    Well, the clouds are the reason I live here

Listen, when you divide a picture it is not quite that cut and dry. It is a good start, but the weights of objects or shapes comes into it, the negative and positive spaces, the tension or calmness you want to achieve.

I take many shots to get one picture. This evening i took about 15 pictures from different positions, with different devisions etc. Then I choose afterwards. But each picture I took as a complete composition already there in the finder. I know that this is second nature to me by now, but you can learn that as well.

Try to identify what the principles are that make a good picture. Yes, if you have ideal conditions pictures can turn out better, but even very mundane surroundings can give you incredible shots.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drama

Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunrise this Morning

Ulrike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh you... I've been waiting and watching the skies around me patiently to hopefully have a wonderful picture, and you keep coming out with all these amazingly beautiful scenes. It's still either too cloudy, or the clouds have no defining shape, lacking color. It's absolutely magnificent to see the Florida skies however, so thank you for that! Hopefully when I go to Mexico near the ocean in a year from now I'll remember to bump this topic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh you... I've been waiting and watching the skies around me patiently to hopefully have a wonderful picture, and you keep coming out with all these amazingly beautiful scenes. It's still either too cloudy, or the clouds have no defining shape, lacking color. It's absolutely magnificent to see the Florida skies however, so thank you for that! Hopefully when I go to Mexico near the ocean in a year from now I'll remember to bump this topic.
    Indeed it is a show now I am so happy that I can share this beauty with you all. It is truly remarkable here in the summer and early fall. Then it is just boring blue with a little white fuzz or gray, just the way you describe it. I will keep taken them as I see something building.

Usually around 5 in the afternoon the storms move in after the buildup of the heat. Those give of course the most dramatic pictures.

What time of year are you planing your trip to Mexico? You should have great skies there as well
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 Hours Of Sky

This afternoon at 3 O' Clock I started to take photos of the progression of a cloud bank. It moved along from southeast all the way to west in the span of 5 hours, until the sun set behind the rainstorm on the horizon. The pictures are taken every hour.

Ulrike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was semi-excited that I had a semi-sunset (I missed most of the breath-taking shots while I was on my run, I was kicking myself while jogging), until I saw the last picture of your progression. Hopefully there'll be some more brilliant sun rays tonight - and since my home computer is out of commission for the time being, I will probably have time to go outside.

I took this this past Saturday and didn't much like it then. I found that looking at it again, I tend to enjoy it a bit more and thought I'd share it anyway. It's just a deep blue skyscape overtop some farmland. Again, I was driving back from a run I went on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes indeed you have a nice pink sunset there, and the pastoral setting is nice and peaceful, I hear the crickets now.

I noticed in your presentation of your photos that you use different sizes within one post. I always found (and here is the graphic artist speaking), that to present a thing consistently is half of the effect. I would show both photos at the same width, height can be different, but you want for the eye to have an easy transition from one picture to the next. Try it and see if you do not like it better
    Ulrike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was completely accidental.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was completely accidental.
    I know, that happens, so much to think about it at once. Things like that have to become second nature to you, so you do not have to think about them anymore

Just a friendly reminder from this old girl
    Ulrike

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a member of another forum and they have just started a photo comp. Now it just so happens that the first topic is something I don't have any pics of but this one I do Shame it's over though but what the hey.

They are all taken directly out the back of my house which is in NW UK. They are not a patch on the ones the US guys have posted .

Still it's not a bad view if you like XP

Click on the pics for added largeness

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Handyman I love the open wire fence, great prop.

These photo threads will stay open, they will continue and you can post in all of them, no matter how late. They are just being introduced weekly, that is all.

I hope you will continue to post in these threads, it is so nice to see photos from different parts of the world
    Ulrike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    handyman, nice pics! I too really like the fence shot!

I am curious -- do you have a lens cover on your lens? I've noticed that I haven't been able to take the "sun is on the corner of the photo producing sun-rays" shots with my SLR where I could with my 35mm, and I think this was the difference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection

Ulrike

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    handyman, nice pics! I too really like the fence shot!

I am curious -- do you have a lens cover on your lens? I've noticed that I haven't been able to take the "sun is on the corner of the photo producing sun-rays" shots with my SLR where I could with my 35mm, and I think this was the difference.
    No Lens cover, it's just a 2mp Cannon (a80 I think) the lens zooms back in and covers up when turned off.

Just looking though my pics to see if I had anything for the other categories and spotted this accident

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky Datura! up here everything is just grey
    Besides that, my sensor caught some serious dirt - dust and saliva (guess who's been stupid enough to try to blow off dust with own breath) and I'm unable to take new shots. I do have some clouds pics at my Flickr gallery if you're interested though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebDesignGold View Post
    Lucky Datura! up here everything is just grey
    Besides that, my sensor caught some serious dirt - dust and saliva (guess who's been stupid enough to try to blow off dust with own breath) and I'm unable to take new shots. I do have some clouds pics at my Flickr gallery if you're interested though.
    Lucky it is indeed. I truly enjoy these times here.

I grew up in Northern Germany. There we had great skies in the deep winter. Some areas had an incredible long view and sunrise painted the sky with vivid crimson and orange, the likes I have never seen in another place. I think skies are very different in the varied areas of the world because of the weather patterns, the land, the reflection.

I went to flickr to see your work. Very nice.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A sunset from my front porch.

Sara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea -- delicious. When the sky was like this when I was a child, my mother would say: "The sky is so pink because the angels are baking cookies"
    Ulrike