User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Datura,

I have never seen such a sky as in the 1st picture before. Really great and interesting! Thanks!

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys

A moment like this goes by quickly. By the time I came back, maybe 5 minutes, the clouds had already softened up, the distinct droopy pillows were dissolving.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    As I prepared dinner and looked out the window, this very eery light bathed all things. That surely was a signal for me to snatch the camera and run down to the beach. A huge reward. These pillowy clouds form before storms sometimes, and this was a particularly gorgeous formation. Behind me against the orange lit wall of dark clouds stood a rainbow and the finale happened when the sun dipped into the sea.
    Wow! Those are great. And practically in your own back yard!

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen sky like that either. It lookes like huge balls of cotton suspended there. Amazing shot, Datura.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it was a lucky thing. I felt like I had won the jackpot. Amazing how good it can make you feel to capture such a thing. I always liked photography but never have actually gone deeper into it.

The season for great clouds is upon us here in Florida now. The hurricanes in the gulf and their huge feeder bands create some really spectacular sights. This year I will try to capture those. I am glad we have this thread now, I will share those moments with you all
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This morning on the beach the thunderheads were building. Those clouds have a lot of energy in them, they blow off towards the top and create table tops. I thought this was interesting to see.

Ulrike

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the size, but I didn't feel like tempting fate - I'm about to reinstall XP and I don't want to lose anything. - Never mind, I reduced its size.

This was taken around 3PM yesterday from my front porch - in the shade on my front porch.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow!!! some very very nice stuff there!!
    Especially the pics posted by Stephan, Ulrike, Raffles and Dan
    I find them very inspiring

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Jared, I find those shots very stimulating as well. It is so nice to see all these different areas of the world in this way.

This morning we had an impending storm floating about in the west, the sun shining onto it and creating strong contrast.

Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really want to live where you live Ulrike!
    Sara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ses5909 View Post
    I really want to live where you live Ulrike!
    It is beautiful this time of the year. My favorite time, very few tourists now. But it is very hot and humid for doing regular chores like gardening and shopping. I take it though, it is a world of wonder up in the sky. The visitors to this area crowd the beaches in the winter, but the skies are blank then, endless blue.

Sara, you have different things though that I miss
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to show off the changing moods of the sky here, this mid-afternoon another one of the blow off clouds. Thunderstorm in the making.

Ulrike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I don't think my sky shots rank anywhere near any of yours (except perhaps my silhouette, in its own right), but at least I finally found (and made) some!

Okay, since I didn't have any sky shots (or so I thought) to use originally, I decided to "make" one. However, since this is a photography forum and not a graphical art forum, I had to use a photo. Well, I knew I had at least one picture of the sky, so I cropped the image, removing everything except the sky (a top corner) and had the top image below. After that, I used my new version of Photoshop CS3 (love it, got the web premium suite!) to alter the Shadow/Highlights of the image and was able to come up with the image below. I "sort of" cheated, but I didn't think I had anything else to share. :P

Once I realized I'm a moron and actually did have some pictures with a skyline in it (only after creating the image above), I touched them up to make the blues more blue and contrasts a bit higher. Your pictures are all magnificent, I've apparently only had my camera on hand when our sky has been a light blue with light, usual clouds or dark skies with an almost overcast sky with no ominous clouds (except last night, but it was raining too hard to safely take my camera out - missed some AMAZING lightning too).

Anyway, the picture below is in the area I was trying to rent out a house. I missed out, so unfortunately no awesome sunset views for me. I'll be living within a dirty, congested city area instead after my move.

Overlooking a lake area down to the valley from a mountain top, I caught this (unknowingly) with some sun rays shimmering through the clouds. This day was unfortunately quite hazy and very humid, the clarity for distance shots was hampered from the humid air.

This is what the sky around me has looked like lately for the past week or so...except today (when I took this) the clouds actually had some density to them. This is actually a color photo, believe it or not; you might be able to make out the green of the pine trees if you look closely. (Across the street from my parents' house.)

While walking back from taking the picture above, I looked up as I thought I saw the sun shining through the clouds...I was right, and immediately got blinded by the light. However, since I was standing at the corner, when I looked up, as I moved my head away I noticed the silhouette of this power pole and thought, "hey, that looks neat", then remembered that I had my camera in my hand. Amazing how I didn't immediately think "what a great shot!!" Although this image was converted to B&W, I had my camera on AUTO and the color photo ended up being about the same (no color depth).

TOLD YOU I WAS STILL DOING THE CHALLENGES! It took me awhile to catch up though, more than 2 hours worth.
    Last edited by malikyte; Aug 26, 2007 at 16:31. Reason: forgot to include the actual last photo
    They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The grey sky is my favorite. I would have cut off the part with the pole though. Great success for you malikyte

After looking at all the pictures you posted today, it was time for me to run to the beach again. The sun had just set a few minutes before and left quite a spectacle to see.

Ulrike

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's the best picture so far.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I have no favorites so far, there will be many more in the coming weeks, time for me to take advantage of mother nature. Is she not beautiful?
    Ulrike

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    time for me to take advantage of mother nature. Is she not beautiful?
    Yes, she (or he?) is. Just open you eyes...

Your pictures are all superb, I really like the last one for the colors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the contrast in it, the dynamic. I would have liked to walk a little further to get a different angle, not the straight on. But it was too late. The light at this time of day shifts very quickly into night
    Ulrike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The grey sky is my favorite. I would have cut off the part with the pole though. Great success for you malikyte
    I wouldn't have been able to get the same effect (without post-production) without the pole in the way. I liked the silhouette and it was the focus of the image. I agree that open skies are much nicer to look at, but no one else seemed to do something similar, so I thought I'd change it up a bit.

...I'm definitely bringing my camera when I visit Florida next time.
    They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by malikyte View Post
    I wouldn't have been able to get the same effect (without post-production) without the pole in the way. I liked the silhouette and it was the focus of the image. I agree that open skies are much nicer to look at, but no one else seemed to do something similar, so I thought I'd change it up a bit.

...I'm definitely bringing my camera when I visit Florida next time.
    No no no, I was not talking about the picture with the big pole and the sun behind it. That is a great shot. I talked about the soft grey sky. There is a small thin pole or something in the left upper part on the edge That is what I meant.

When you want sky pictures in Florida you must come here in the summer and fall. The rest of the year it is potluck
    Ulrike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh shoot, that's a power line. I didn't even notice it there! I didn't do any post-processing on that one (except for resizing), but yeah...you're right. That was mainly just to show the current sky in my area of the world. Dreary and drab compared to your amazingly beautiful skyline.

Yeah, not sure when I will be able to make it to Florida. I don't travel much - hopefully it'll be when there are some beautiful pictures to be had.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And do not forget, composition is an important part of taking a good picture. I try to compose like I would when painting a canvas. Right in the viewer I compose. Let things line up the right way, no cutting of elements through the corners that makes a picture flat, no ambiguous little things that poke into the picture, clear grouping of elements, directions that shift to evoke tension.

You can find a pretty good picture almost any place, the great ones do not come along too often. Sometimes it is better to actually paint a scene, the artist's selection is much greater that way, the choices can be concentrated and emphasized.

That is the element I always found lacking in photography. It is better now with photoshop and the possibilities it offers to enhance.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This evening, ten minutes ago, after the sun set. Is that not amazing how little time it takes for the whole world to see this?

Ulrike

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ulrike,

it is really amazing how many great pictures you have shown us. Since this thread started, I have a look at the sky every few minutes, but our sky is just not that interesting...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelcop View Post
    Ulrike,

it is really amazing how many great pictures you have shown us. Since this thread started, I have a look at the sky every few minutes, but our sky is just not that interesting...
    Yes, those skies are absolutely great now here by the sea. We have quartz sand that is incredibly white. It reflects back into the sky and doubles the pleasure.

I have never taken photos like this before, this is the first year. I have not even yet gotten to know the camera fully. But the results are very encouraging to me I love it
    Ulrike