User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GD analog with much better JPEG quality for linux

Hello,

I wonder, is there any GD analog that creates JPEG with better quality than GD? I've tried GD and even with "100" quality level GD does lower quality JPEG than Flickr (JPEGs on Flickr looks better), for example.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for reply.

Is it much better at JPEG compress? Did you use it on your site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's much better at everything; GDlib is a joke, in comparison. The only problem is, that there isn't any (working) extension for PHP, so to use imagemagick, you must call it over the shell. You often aren't allowed to do this on shared hosts (Although you might -- check with your host). I haven't used any of them, but both asido and wideimage looks like good libraries for simplifying the interface against imagemagick.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken View Post
    It's much better at everything; GDlib is a joke, in comparison. The only problem is, that there isn't any (working) extension for PHP, so to use imagemagick, you must call it over the shell. You often aren't allowed to do this on shared hosts (Although you might -- check with your host). I haven't used any of them, but both asido and wideimage looks like good libraries for simplifying the interface against imagemagick.
    Thanks for the links.

I've found another 2 extensions on ImageMagick page:
    Imagick
    MagickWand

I wonder, what API do you guys use? I'd really like to find easy and powerful one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote my own abstraction layer, based off PEAR's (horrible) library. I have the following two projects in my bookmarks, which both seems promising. I haven't tried any of them though, so I can't vouch for them.
    asido
    wideimage

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If you can use ImageMagick on your server it is not to hard to use with php; you can do most things with one line of code as opposed to 10 or more with GD.

Have a look at the examples on my site ( link in signature ) most of the examples are based on php and I have some code examples - although some of these could do with tidying up a bit

There is also some code on the index page you can use to see if ImageMagick is enabled on your server along with the version.

There is an API for php but my hosts will not install it as it is in Beta stage and has been for some time !

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have dedicated server, so I can install any API. Do you mean all ImageMagick APIs are in beta?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by al9 View Post
    Do you mean all ImageMagick APIs are in beta?
    No, but the PHP-bindings (extension) are. You don't need the bindings though, if you have a dedicate server, since you could just call the utility over the shell.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken View Post
    No, but the PHP-bindings (extension) are. You don't need the bindings though, if you have a dedicate server, since you could just call the utility over the shell.
    Yes, but I want to find easiest way to write image related PHP code. For example, GD has easy (but very strange) interface. I'd like to find similar interface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by al9 View Post
    Yes, but I want to find easiest way to write image related PHP code. For example, GD has easy (but very strange) interface. I'd like to find similar interface.
    Did you try the links from my previous post?