SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

formmail.php Help Please!!!!!

I work on a non profit site for medically fragile children. This site sits on a unix based server. The previous content manager set up a script on a her windows based server to process the forms. She is no longer with us and has removed that script. Hence our forms no longer work. They have not worked for a few weeks now. Very Very Important that I get them back up.

I can not seem to get my head around what needs to be done to make this work. The more I read the more confused I get. I have tried to set up formmail.php but can't not get it to work. I have not installed php on the server and I think this could be part of my issue. I know a lil of everything but I know nothing about how to make this form work. I would be willing to pay someone to teach me as we have about 5 already existing forms on the site with more possible. Anyone Interested?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

formmail

Hi Aemissary2, welcome to the forums,
    There are many different formmail scripts available. I doubt if it is wise to install PHP solely to be able to use a PHP formmail script. IMHO it would be best to find something that will work with what your server already has.
    Does it have Perl CGI?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

formmail

I am not sure and the company hosting the site does it for free. They are not willing to provide too much support for the site.

This has been the extent of support for this issue.

"[U]Among the possible solutions for sending the information submitted via a form in an email I'd look at:

http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html
    http://phpfmg.sourceforge.net/
    http://easyformit.com/

There are literally 100s of scripts that do what you want to do on the market - these 3 are the first that come to my mind."[/U]
    For months I have been working with this account through ftp on a basic server. Recently they have moved the pages to a new server with many features. I do see php in safe mode but have been unable to locate any php.ini.

I am accessing through Plesk 8.0 control panel. I do see a cgi folder. I do know its an apache server 2.2 maybe.

I would perfer the simplest approach. I am just at a loss. I have spend many hours researching and trying to make this work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

formmail

It is unlikely that they would provide links to PHP formmail scripts if the server wasn't PHP. But it seems you definately have Perl CGI.
    Don't be confounded by the vast number of choices, I imagine that most are very similar. Key files include:
    The page with the HTML form that has inputs (text, hidden, etc), the action attribute value is where they're sent to.
    The receiving file that processes the info and sends an email.
    Possibly a template with the format of the email.
    So basically you have a form with the inputs that you need for your purposes and inputs that the processing script needs to have to know what to do.
    The template has "place holders" that the script will replace with the input values.
    Why not pick one (with online docs please) and go from there?
    (I have some experience using Matt's formmail, if that's one you have.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

My forms were not working because the ip of the domain was going through a change. AS soon as this change was made the form worked beautifully.