SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a big decision to make and it would be nice if you could give your oppinion on the subject.

I have a web promotion site http://www.webpromotionadvice.com/. It is beeing redesigned at the moment and I am planning to reopen in the near future. What I am thinking about is wheater I should use the oppertunity and chance domain names at the same time.

I also own 101promotion.com and promotionadvice.com.

webpromotionadvice.com is a little bit long. The others are shorter but do not have the same keywords.

So what to do?

------------------
    Jon Pall Hreinsson
    Msc International Business

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definetly switch over to PromotionAdvice.com - shorter, simpler, and still (at least to me) conveys the same meaning.

101Promotion doesn't sit well with me...if it were Promotion101 it'd be a lot better.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also like PromotionAdvice, but why not set up your page so all 3 addresses link to the same content?

If you already own them----Use Them!

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest putting the main site at promotionadvice.com, and having webpromotionadvice.com redirect to it so you still get the benefit of having those extra keywords.

------------------
    Eric Radtke
    Web Services: DevStorm Web Design |InterSurge Hosting (coming soon)
    Web Tools: Web Site Resource | FreeWebSiteTools

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by jonpall:
    I have a big decision to make and it would be nice if you could give your oppinion on the subject.

I have a web promotion site http://www.webpromotionadvice.com/. It is beeing redesigned at the moment and I am planning to reopen in the near future. What I am thinking about is wheater I should use the oppertunity and chance domain names at the same time.

I also own 101promotion.com and promotionadvice.com.

webpromotionadvice.com is a little bit long. The others are shorter but do not have the same keywords.

So what to do?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It all depends what have you done so far promoting http://www.webpromotionadvice.com/.

If you dont mind working at it again after time spent promoting the domain above, defenitly go with promotionadvice.com. It is shorter and you will be probably be using the same keywords on it.

Regards,
    Lookpal

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you register wpa101.com (it's open) and then have the 3 other domains redirect to it? WPA101.com would be for return visitors who don't want to type W-E-B-P-R-O-M-O-T-I-O-N-A-D-V-I-C-E-.-C-O-M-&lt;enter&gt;.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay. Here's my two cents. People spend way too much time thinking about domain names. In very, very few instances are they important at all. There are a dozen or so sites I visit every day (using bookmarks; I rarely type in an address). I could care less what their names are. Same for the occasional banner ad I click. It just doesn't matter. Here's another example: Since I found SitePoint, I've been here religiously at least twice a day for the past, oh, two weeks. Today, away from my computer I couldn't remember that the name of the site was "SitePoint." In addition, I came to this site because someone told me there was useful information here (which there is, lots of it). I would have come here no matter what the name was. I could go on and on about this, but then I'd be disproving my point -- that most domain name discussions are about as worthwhile as a high school debate. Before you start giving me examples of how I'm wrong, please notice that I did say above that there are a few exceptions. I could even give you some if you're interested. The key is: short, to the point. Nothing else matters.

------------------
    "Whatever can be said can be said clearly." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion there are two major issues regarding domain names. First is the SE issue, meaning that some SEs favor sites with their own domain and more importantly with keywords in their name. For example I would get better results in yahoo with webpromotionadvice.com than promotionadvice.com, because the word web and promotion apears in the name and thus I can put it in the title. Title is very important in yahoo and thus I will have a better position for the phrase "web promotion", which is one of the most important phrase for my site. Because the word "web" is missing from promotionadvice.com I would have less result from "web promotion".

The second issue is similar to a brand name. Your domain name wil become you vrand name and I belive that will be even more important in the future. I disagree with JoelFord, I never look in my overcrowded and poorly organised bookmarks for the sites I vistit often, I write sitepoint.com in the address line!

I have been giving this some thought and I think I will go for promotionadvice.com. Why? mainly because of the potancial brand issue. The webpromotionadvice is simply too long! Although this could hurt me in terms of SE promotion, the long term effect of branding would hopefully be more important.

Thank you all for your comments, I really appriciate them.

re, jonpall

------------------
    Jon Pall Hreinsson
    Msc International Business