SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deployment (redeployment)

I'm a little confused about something and I hope someone can help me out a bit.

I've got a small ap up on a shared server. I've done A LOT of database changes locally and I'm ready to deploy now.

I'm not using subversion or capistrano - so what will happen when I migrate things to the server?

Will I lose the 'live' data I have? Would it matter if I was using subversion or capistrano?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if it's the DB you're worried about all you have to do is make a backup of the data in your DB, redeploy, rake db:migrate, and import your backed up DB file. If you don't you'll purge the data when you migrate.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    db:migrate does not delete data unless you are performing a migration that is destructive (i.e. drop table, remove column etc.).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I have a live site with say 2 models that have relationships and I let it run that way for a few weeks and then add 3 more models that have relationships with the first 2 will it break things?

I've just done the migration to my existing site - but no relationships and it's all well. Just a little concerned about down the road.... and figure It's time to make sure I understand so I don't mess myself up.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't break.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Obviously I'll back things up. I'm just nervous because I KNOW I'll want to add in some more models down the road as the site grows.

Puts my mind at rest so thanks