SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with php extension

I am currently learning to integrate php into my website, which is hosted on earthlink. They support php, but I've noticed that I have to save my files as .php5 to get them to work. If I just save them as .php they don't run.

My concern, looking ahead, is that all my scripts will be null and void when php6 comes out because eventually the browswers won't read the php5 extension. Are my fears justified or am I being overly anxious? If my fears are justified, is there anything I can do to make my life easier in the future? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP6 won't come out for at least a year and when that happens it will be beta for atleast half a year. It won't take over all the other php versions for at least three years. PHP5 came out three years ago and NOW, finally, at the end of the year PHP4 will be obsolete. So I wouldn't really worry about php5 becoming null.
    I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could define a variable within your code for use when you link, or refer to other PHP files.
    That way, down the track, you can change the extension your app looks for in a single location. (see below)

You'll still need to physically rename all files, but there are many batch file renaming tools that'd allow this.

PHP Code:
    <?php
    $PHP_EXT 
    'php5'//current file extension.

echo "<a href='somefile.{$PHP_EXT}'>Go to another page</a>";
    require (
    "classes/myclass.{$PHP_EXT}");  //require a PHP file

?>
    <form action="process_this.<?php echo $PHP_EXT;?>" method="post">
    I am a form
    </form>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, if your on apache, you could use .htaccess to return the .php5 files for ever .php request. This would mean when you ever move your site, you would just have to rename and wouldnt have to update your files.

Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule $(.+).php $1.php5 [NC,L]
    I think the above will work, but dont hold me to it

Im not completely sure, but i think there is a way you can set php to parse .php files through .htaccess? Could anyone back me up here?
    PHP | MySQL | (X)HTML | CSS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good idea brent, but I think your rewrite rule needs a bit of fine tuning. The $ should probably match the end of the URL (except for query parameters) and the .php would need to be escaped as \.php

.htaccess would be a better solution than what I proposed