SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domain Name System (DNS)

Ive got a book on DNS & BIND, ive read half of it, but was so tied up in a project for a month i decided to recently go back to it and read it from the start, I have a question.

When ARPAnet was created, i already understand it was an experiment, but can i look at ARPAnet in the same way as i would look at, lets say, my intranet in my house? (We have 6 computers, i got bored). We have a powerful machine that the router is on, but my brothers laptop has a 12gb hard-drive and he dont like to install to much, so often he runs programs from the main computer on his.

Is this the same sort of thing? ARPAnet had a powerful (and in them days VERY expensive) machine, all the little machines connected to it and ran on its resources

I already know 'why' it was created, it was an experiment to link goverement agencies so they could email, share software and documents (i really doubt they had MSN in them days, ha ha, i think they had some sort of IRC though).

Am i thinking in the right direction though?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadingstylez View Post
    Ibut can i look at ARPAnet in the same way as i would look at, lets say, my intranet in my house?
    There's no limit to what analogies one can use to try to understand a thing.
    But in your case, basically yes.

The important thing here is why one wants to do this or that. ARPAnet, and
    the rest, is history.