SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Data Migration !?

Hey there,

I currently have a dedicated server with a company. I want to upgrade the server, so they told me that it cannot be upgraded that that I'll need to get a new one and cancel the current one. I'm willing to do this, but the problem is the data migration. They told me that they don't do data migration from one server to another and that I'll have to do it myself.

My question is...is this right?
    Wouldn't it be 10 times easier for them to do it than it would be for me? I mean...they have everything right there with them and it should be a pretty quick job to clone the current drive and put it on the new server, don't you think?

I even offered to pay them an hourly fee if they are willing to do this data migration for me, but they simply responded with a sloppy "Sorry, we don't do that. Update this ticket once you have made a decision".

I'm really pissed off. The server is running slow and I need to ugprade it. But I cannot upgrade it, since I'm not sure how the data will be moved.

Please post your thoughts on this. Should my server provider assist me with moving my data? If not...what would be the best approach ?

Thank you for your input.
    And so I got lost in code...completely asphyxiated by it...

Premium WordPress plugins - Tribulant Software

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen a hosting company that did data migration. Plain and simple they don't want to be held responsible if anything is lost.

be as pissed off as you want but this isn't in the scope of their service, sorry

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    I've never seen a hosting company that did data migration. Plain and simple they don't want to be held responsible if anything is lost.

be as pissed off as you want but this isn't in the scope of their service, sorry
    Thanks for the response.
    Understood. So I'll have to accept the fact.

Do you know of a resource where I can read more about moving using SSH?
    I have root access to both servers.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are services that might be able to help you: http://www.websitemovers.com. It's not a recommendation, it's just an example. I've never used this company.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could FTP everything, but it will take ages.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends really, how much are you paying per month for your server? Anything less than $300/month I can't see anyone moving your data for you. Anything less than $150/month I can't see them even offering advice or any sort of help.

It all comes down to money in the end, we for example help customers move between servers if they need help/advice. We also let customers run their old and new server side by side for a month, free of charge - but then again, we're not at the cheap cheap end of the market. You have to remember, good value != lowest price.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    It all depends really, how much are you paying per month for your server? Anything less than $300/month I can't see anyone moving your data for you. Anything less than $150/month I can't see them even offering advice or any sort of help.

It all comes down to money in the end, we for example help customers move between servers if they need help/advice. We also let customers run their old and new server side by side for a month, free of charge - but then again, we're not at the cheap cheap end of the market. You have to remember, good value != lowest price.
    I'm currently paying just over 400 per month for the server. It's a pretty good server and has reasonable specs, but I needed to ugprade since it cannot handle what we are trying to do.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For $400/month and you're upgrading (presumably going to be paying more) then I'd be expecting some help with migrating things to be honest, I can see why you're a little annoyed at not getting any - Especially if you've been a long time customer.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    For $400/month and you're upgrading (presumably going to be paying more) then I'd be expecting some help with migrating things to be honest, I can see why you're a little annoyed at not getting any - Especially if you've been a long time customer.
    After the upgrade the server will be about 485pm. But there is a large setup fee involved which needs to be paid once off.

I haven't been with them long though. Not even a month. Even so, I think I could be happy with the service since they have good quality products and know what they are doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post

We do data migration for our client if he really wish us to do so.. you just need to have good technically skilled staff they can get things as it is from old server without any dataloss.
    RSHosting- UK & US based RESELLER & DEDICATED hosting.
    Private Nameservers, free WHMCS, Ffmpeg(YouTube Clone) hosting

http://www.rshosting.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrid View Post
    I'm willing to do this, but the problem is the data migration.
    Please post your thoughts on this. Should my server provider assist me with moving my data? If not...what would be the best approach ?
    I dont see any trouble when helping customer to do the upgrading. We recently did some migrations for customers (unmanaged and managed servers) when we moved datacenter in the last few months. I can see the host dont want to take risk when doing the migration, but the host can give customers time for checking, and after checking, if they're happy, then all will be happy. If not, depends on each case, but I think not too hard to find out why.

Back to your issue: do you have any control panel on your server?Which OS? Any database? Let us know more details of your current usage, then we can direct you to the correct way
    Clustered CloudLinux Hosting | WordPress Hosting |
    Advanced Antispam | Managed Xen VPS
    in US West coast and Asia-Pacific datacenters
    Contact us now on Twitter @vietnap

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur at 485 you should expect assistance, but nevertheless more details are required for a qualified suggestion on how to go about this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by can8v View Post
    I concur at 485 you should expect assistance, but nevertheless more details are required for a qualified suggestion on how to go about this.
    The details are really simple though. I have a server with them. I upgraded the ram and the bandwidth which was fine. Then, two days later, I wanted to upgrade the cpu. They told me that I couldn't upgrade, but that I had to get a new server. I asked them if they couldn't just use my old harddrive, or atleast clone my old harddrive and use it on the new motherboard. All they said was "Sorry but we don't do that for our customers". And that's it.

Btw...I never went forth with the upgrade. I found a company that does this. I purchased a new server from this company (still have the old one though) and they MOVED all my data from the server with another company to their servers. They moved files, dumped and reimported databases, etc...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could've done the data migration myself, but I simply don't have the knowledge to do this without messing something up. All data is very important (some belong to clients) and I cannot afford to lose something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see you have solved your problem. Who is your new vendor?
    Clustered CloudLinux Hosting | WordPress Hosting |
    Advanced Antispam | Managed Xen VPS
    in US West coast and Asia-Pacific datacenters
    Contact us now on Twitter @vietnap

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gate2vn View Post
    Nice to see you have solved your problem. Who is your new vendor?
    I still use the old provider for some of my sites.
    Just moved a very large site to AlphaRed.