SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about domain name kiting/tasting

I was about to register a domain name only to find it was registered that very day.

If it is kited will I be able to register it immediatly after 5 days?

Also: Is it possible someone keeps an eye on sites such as www.domaintools.com and records search queries that people like myself have made?

Thank you,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkley View Post
    This just happened to me. My client had the domain on backorder ( via godaddy ) but it was registered first by a domain name taster. They did drop it after 5 days and just just got it!

You may still be able to register the domain, provided the a-hole involved doesnt pay for the registration at the end of this time period.
    Also: Is it possible someone keeps an eye on sites such as www.domaintools.com and records search queries that people like myself have made?
    I have seen some discussions about this and ( not sure if that one ) but several of those sites have been implicated to be doing just that....

Talk about un-ethical business practices. This type of stuff turns my stomach.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless someone is willing to show data on what domain name has been tasted
    or what not, no one's really going to know. Just make your calendar on what
    date it'll hopefully be let go, get ready to grab it, and hope for the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always register good domains when you find them, don't sleep on it! The registrar or their employees could trawl the name searches carried out on their site each day, hour etc, if they find a valuable domain that someone has found but failed to secure, they might rego it themselves.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I did some research and found out that the registrar (Capitoldomains) is accused of registering mass domains.

I also gave moniker a call and he said that after a domain is returned after the 5 day policy anyone can register it. Although I was little disapointed that the rep didn't know what domain kiting was.

@mcsolas - the domain was is similiar to www.clubuome.com I doubt that someone (or an algorithm) would generate that result (btw, we have another domain now). I will not be using domaintools.com in the future for new domains.

@moped - Lesson learnt

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I was little disapointed that the rep didn't know what domain kiting was.
    Offtopic, service reps are generally trained only to handle issues involving just
    their systems
    . Although it's nice if they keep abreast of any possibly relevant
    topics, they're not required or expected to know everything.

Been there, done that. It just so happens I'm passionately interested in what
    topics are being discussed involving domain names.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inquiring

Would anyone be interested in a tool that could poll a domain name and email you the moment it was available to be registered? Reading this forum got me thinking about writing just such a tool

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime you search for new domain name and find one buy it. People buy hundreds at a time trying to resell them or park them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that GoDaddy and DomainTools both are accused of selling lists of domains that are checked on their site but not registered to tasters.

ALWAYS use http://www.moniker.com to check domain availability. They are the only place I trust.
    Visit DotSauce.com for fresh news & reviews
    on SEO, development, domain names,
    web applications & design.