User Tag List

Thread: content idea

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this sound like a good idea? I want to join (or I have joined) a program for giving away free storage space. I think this would be a good free content idea since my visitors would probably like to have storage space for their star wars pictures, sounds, etc.
    Has anyone else tried this idea?

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent place I found for storage space is www.powersearch.com. Not sure if you can offer space for your members though.

Others that I can think of are www.freedrive.com and www.50megs.com

------------------
    KeithMcL
    Soon to come,
    www.webmasterswork.com
    #1 source for web developer jobs online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a decent idea...sorry to say though, that there are plenty of sites already offering free online disk space to their users...so it won't be revolutionary...

What would truly be cool is to display certain Star Wars pictures and such, and have a link there that says "Add this to your Account"...

Aside from making it more convienent for your users (and more likely that they'll make use of this new feature), you'll also be able to track which ones are added most often.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

[This message has been edited by TWTCommish (edited July 06, 2000).]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding it to a Star Wars site would make it seem revolutionary to the end user.

I think it is an idea worth trying, after all, it couldn't hurt.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by TWTCommish:
    It's a decent idea...sorry to say though, that there are plenty of sites already offering free online disk space to their users...so it won't be revolutionary...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, what I meant was I joined XDrive's affiliate program where people click a link and they sign up for free space through my link and I get a little money. They get something (free storage space) and I get a little money so I can someday get some expensive cgi scripts to make my site really interactive and fun.

I didn't mean offer free web space or something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clueless: sounds like a good idea...I think you should definetly have a "add this to my account" link whenever possible next to the files found on your site...this will definetly increase the signups you get/revenue you receive.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by TWTCommish:
    clueless: sounds like a good idea...I think you should definetly have a "add this to my account" link whenever possible next to the files found on your site...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I think you must have misunderstood me...I don't have picture or sound files for people on my site....that would take too much space up. I meant for people who have star wars sounds and pictures they have found on the internet, to store them. I would provide the sign-up link. However, I don't like the company that does the tracking for XDrive and have decided to cross out my idea and think of something less complicated.

[This message has been edited by clueless (edited July 08, 2000).]

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you are talking about setting up what is referred to as an affiliate program. You put a link on your site, your users use it and the company you link to pays you for sending your users to them.

Well, if that is what you're trying to do--Great!! This is a good way for small sites to make a little money off their sites. HOWEVER, don't expect the cash to just start rolling in. Most companies have strict policies on what you and your users have to do to get paid. But, in any case, I think that affiliates are worth the little time it takes to set them up.