User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best practice, simple CMS for beginner

Hi,

I'm moving into ASP.NET from classic ASP. I've tried reading books on ASP.NET, and that's fine to a point, but I really think the best thing to learn is to jump in and have a go. Obviously though, I'd like to learn with best practice principles rather than learning from poorly structured code.

Does anyone know of any simple CMS projects which will do something basic like pull data from a database onto a page, with an area to write data to that page? Just your bog standard simple-as-can-be CMS mechanism.

I've found this: http://www.codeproject.com/useritems...management.asp but it was written by a self-taught newby classic ASP convert. Things in it like having an include file on every page and having to write out the database connection on each page on which it's required strike me as being not best practice and simply a novices approach to .NET.

I don't want to be one of these converts who just writes basically ASP and saves it as an .aspx and thinks they can code in .NET.

If anyone has any sample code or can point me at a very simple project I can deconstruct, preferably in C# I'd be most grateful.

Thanks for your help folks...

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple .NET web projects are few and far between. That said, I would look at a few of the better open-source .NET blog applications, such as SubText or BlogEngine.NET. The latter is the simpler, but both are decent examples.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks wwb, I've not come across these.

I've just downloaded the BlogEngine source and there are hundreds of files though, so it's perhaps a little too deep for what I'm looking for. I was hoping for something that just has two main pages: 1. Write content out of database into an HTML template; 2. Write content into database via an HTML form.

Seems like I might have to go with the link I posted above, then just try to seek help on improving it? Not ideal, but I really think I'll struggle getting my head around the code of these full-on CMS systems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i suggest you go to
    http://www.asp.net/

the offical website for asp.net

to downlaod the start kits

and leanr the start kits
    a software developer

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks vb_vs - the first starter kit I see is the DotNetNuke Portal. Wow, if that's starter material then .NET is a seriously steep learning curve! I'll trawl there and look for something more basic though, so thanks for the pointer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About a year ago I was also been in your position looking to get started, but found most, if not all online tutorials on .NET to be over complicated, mainly because its got a steep learning curve to get to grips with OOP, the framework, ADO.NET etc...even coming from being a classic ASP professional.

Instead of trying to work with a pre-built project I would suggest working through the tutorials on ASP.NET, especially the Data Access tutorials. I found them to be great resources in helping me understand more about data access in .NET.
    http://www.asp.net/learn/data-access/

There is also a host of other tutorials to ease you into the framework
    http://www.asp.net/learn/

If your willing to get a good start try Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Wrox Press. It does have it's flaws with errors in the text, but its a good simple introduction to .NET.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Wullie; Aug 11, 2007 at 03:24.
    ASP.NET Freelance Web Developer
    Bored? Check out my photography folio at Flickr

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Wullie, very handy indeed. I think you might be right about learning from basic tutorials rather than full projects, since all of those seem to be very much at the deep end of the scale as far as I'm concerned.