SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starburst Tutorial for Illustrator - Intermediate

In this tut, we will create a star-burst, in Adobe Illustrator. This would be for intermediate users, that know how to create shapes and line segments from the toolbox, and an understanding of gradients and pathfinder would be a great advantage. If not ask me and I will explain in separate posts.

This is what the final result should look like. I used this color because it is a happy color, he, he.

On the canvas, create three (3) objects.
    A rectangle, same size as the final image you need, filled with your favorite color.
    A circle, to the size of your star-burst.
    And a line segment, slightly longer than the width of the circle.

For the moment you can place the rectangle in a separate layer, on it's own, and lock the layer, and why not toggle the visibility to off. We will get back to this object later.

For this exercise we will need these palettes from the Window menu if you don't already have them open:

Gradient
    Swatches
    Align
    Pathfinder

Select the circle and the line segment. Shift select to add second object, with the Selection Tool. Activate, by clicking on the tab, the Align palette. Move cursor over the circle and click once. This makes the circle the primary object, which the second object will align to. Now align objects both horizontally and vertically. De-select the circle, shift click.

With the line segment only selected, double click the Rotate Tool.

For a double check, to rotate the line segment around the center, ensure the center point is showing. This is available in the Attributes palette as shown.

An option window for the Rotate tool will open once you double click the tool from the toolbox and you will see a datum point cross-hair in the center of the line segment, by default. As I said, it is wise to check that the datum is in the center as this is why we aligned the objects to the centers in the first place. If you have moved it previously by doing another rotate this could be set to a different point.

I selected 12 degree rotation as it fits nicely into the 360 degrees of the circle, any number that will give you equal segments of the circle is fine to use as a value. It will rotate anti clockwise with positive values, and clock wise for negative values. Select the Preview so you can see the result, and click Copy to leave the original in place.

Transform this again, either from the Object menu, or the keyboard shortcut, Command D for Mac, or Control D for Windows (I think, please correct me if it's wrong).

You should now have a circle with spokes, sort of, and we will use the Pathfinder palette to cut the circle into segments using the Divide button.

Select all line segment and the circle and click Divide, use the Direct Selection Tool to select every second segment of the circle and delete them. I have colored the circle light grey so you will see the result better, and I left a stroke, so I would see the segment to select them.

Now it is a matter if filling the object with a radial gradient and placing the same radial gradient in the rectangle, so you can now combine the two objects on the same layer again.

Line the gradients up to give you the desired result, adjust the gradient with the Gradient Tool if you need to, group and mask if you want to retain a vector file, or save to photoshop as a bitmap format and crop to clean up the excess image.

For those of you who are more comfortable using gradient setting in Photoshop, the fan shape can be exported to PS and used as mask, to create your star-burst effect. I have include an editable Illustrator pdf, which you can use for this purpose.

Hope this helped out.

All of my tutorials are original and free, no copyright restrictions. Any similarities with other tutorials are purely coincidental.

Regards Kai
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kai Gusto; Aug 9, 2007 at 05:37. Reason: Added pdf file
    Peace on Earth. Please...
    Tuts:1 2 3 4

Beside myself.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the sun shine in -- Wonderful Lee. Put the tuts you are writing into your signature, that way they are always there for people to discover, even if they do not visit this section of the forum.

Great -- Ulrike
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great tutorial...thanx!
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few mods of this will create a nice japanese rising sun

I had the need to make one in my early days of Illustrator... I ended up making a row of rectangles alternately coloured red and white, grouping them and using the warp>arc tool... such a noob! heheh, good tut Lee. BTW, my Wacom arrived, getting used to it at the mo, but loving it Have you edited any of the workflow buttons? I'm wondering what people have done to optimise their workflow with a Wacom in Illustrator...

- Roo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wacom

Sure have been playing, got a mouse and a couple of pens. Still learning heaps. Let me know how you go.

Regards

Beside myself.

The Mind's I ョ silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very nice stuff Kai
    We really need new good Illustrator tuts like this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Thanks, I'll keep on posting, with a few spells in between. I am learning a lot here at Sitepoint, so the least I can do is share the little bit I know. Mind my stumbling through the posts as I go...he he.

Will these tuts become organised into groups, maybe, and moved at a later date?

Meanwhile, I am working on a nice badge tut, with text running in two directions around the circle. Stay tuned...

Cheers

Beside myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice tutorials, specially beginners for Illustrator (example me )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice tutorial and very useful, this is what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Gusto View Post
    Select all line segment and the circle and click Divide, use the Direct Selection Tool to select every second segment of the circle and delete them. I have colored the circle light grey so you will see the result better, and I left a stroke, so I would see the segment to select them.

Now it is a matter if filling the object with a radial gradient and placing the same radial gradient in the rectangle, so you can now combine the two objects on the same layer again.
    Well, I'm using Inkscape and I managed to get up to this point without any real problems, but I couldn't figure this out. If anyone has done it, please let me know... I ended up exporting it and opening it in Gimp (we'll see how this goes...)

Thanks for the tut though! (sorry if I wasn't suppose to reply here because of the thread age!)

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaptistKitty View Post

Thanks for the tut though! (sorry if I wasn't suppose to reply here because of the thread age!)
    Replying is just fine These older threads are kept around and many people find this very useful information by looking at them
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that was easy thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, pretty easy.. and useful. Thanks!