Thread: PHP MYSQLi OOP

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP MYSQLi OOP

I'm new to sitepoint.

I've been looking around for a good way to learn OOP in PHP without any real knowledge of PHP.

I have a reasonable understanding of programmingconcepts (I tried Delphi, C++, VB(.NET), Perl, PHP, JSP, ASP, JAVA), I know loops, iterations, constants, variables, functions, references, inheritance, objects, datatypes, if, switch. Yet I don't know what is needed to actually create a program. I really like PHP5 and believe in OOP.

What I would like is to learn PHP with OOP instead of first learning it procedural and then 'migrating' to OOP.

Thanks in advance

SitePoint Addict Jasper Bekkers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just start, create prototypes of things you think are important. You might even want to create several and compare the implementations. Just implement small aspects of your application and see how they fit together. Also you might want to research some more abstract concepts (algorithms, oop, design patterns, data structures) to improve your skill-set.
    Design patterns: trying to do Smalltalk in Java.
    I blog too, you know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply,

I'll be more specific, I am developing a ticketsystem which should be integrated in an access database through an ODBC link to the MySQL 5 database. I am going to write a frontend in PHP, mainly because a great part of our server environment is running linux. Are there any resources I should read. I already visited, phpfreakz.nl, php.net, sitepoint.com, vbforums.com, I am reading a bunch of PDFs, yet everywhere the same issue seems present, a lack of real world examples and too much theory and no real explanation of examples, they usually do exactly the same, showing the how and not the why (which is to my opinion at least equally important)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have learned a few things.

It seems there is no definite way of learning OOP php directly, almost all resources start with Procedural PHP and transgress slowly towards OOP. All other resources about OOP languages (Java/jsp for example) start with using OOP, perhaps this is specific to PHP. I'll continue my search for a good OOP-PHP for beginners resource.

If I find it, I'll post it here