Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, interesting response!

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very. It seems that most people automatically associate money with success. Realistically, some of the richest people in the world are in a state of depression because of all of the work they take on, as well as the constant knowledge that somewhere, someone is devising some way to get rich by beating your system.

Remember, with all these successfull people in one field, there has to be a lot of competition out there.

The problem I face is that when it comes to income, I am pessimistic. I am 15 years old, earning more than a large majority of people my age, and yet I'm always thinking that I could earn more. Last year, I probably earned about £1500, which is $3031. Although that is peanuts in the real world, thats more than I need, because I don't have bills or income tax to worry about. I should also remember that I only work about 4 hours a day, because of school.

And yet, I'm thinking to myself, why am I earning so little compared to other people in the field.

Maybe it's a good thing, maybe not.

Success is what you want it to be. My idea of success will always be to earn more money than I do, which is basically destructive because when I do earn more, I still won't feel successful.

Just my 2¢
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems the majority of those who have "made it" either havent read this thread or are simply avoiding it.

Be great to hear some more success stories!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post
    It seems the majority of those who have "made it" either havent read this thread or are simply avoiding it.

Be great to hear some more success stories!
    As someone said awhile back in this thread, many of those who are successful aren't going to post in the thread or they're going to post suggestions. They aren't going to post about what they've done for the last 10 years or how much money they make because they consider the information private.

For example, our company started in 1994 but beyond that I'm not going to comment on our income, profits, losses, etc. That's confidential.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also building both horizontally and vertically. As long as there is some way for one of my sites to help/suggest another.

Ryan
    Upcoming Movies - Movie News. Updated Daily.
    Movie Trailers - Awesome trailer site. Nuff said.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a technique, I think it's called Cross-advertising, which can make people alot of money.

Basically, the developer invests in a bulk web hosting package, so they can put up 10-20 websites. Then, they create as many websites as possible, all along the same subject but with a different aim. An example is for the subject of business. The developer's sites could be:
    • Business advice forums
    • Advertising
    • Stationary
    • Web hosting
    • Business books, kits etc.
    • Products

and more. Those sites could help business people in different ways.

So, first of all the developer gets the 2-5 most promising sites, and gets as much publicity for them as possible, under a small budget, of course. Then, on those sites, he advertises the other sites which he owns.

This way, you're paying for the advertising of 2 sites, and the other sites are advertised through the other sites.

All of the smaller sites should link to the big sites, and link to a couple of the smaller sites. Not all.

There are a few things to watch out for though:
    1. All of the designs must be different - people shouldn't know that they are run by the same person
    2. Don't introduce the cross advertising straight away; again, people could 'twig'
    3. All of the sites should be about different areas that appeal to everyone in it's category
    4. It doesn't pay off straight away. It takes time for sites to become popular
    5. Oh, and most of them should offer a service or product
    Jake Arkinstall

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ecommerce site generates an avg of $300/month. It is an oscommerce based ebook store.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    There is a technique, I think it's called Cross-advertising, which can make people alot of money.
    1. All of the designs must be different - people shouldn't know that they are run by the same person
    I think you're totally wrong on that point. There's no reason a single business can't offer many products that meet many needs of the same customers. Essentially, without that point, you're describing Microsoft. If this thread is about BIG money, they're it: the biggest and most successful software company in the world. The only companies in the world making more money are in oil or banking. They derive 90% of that income doing everything else you said -- creating products and services which all meet the needs of the same businesses. The products and services complement eachother and once you've sold a company on your big 1 or 2 products (Windows, Windows Server, Active Directory, Exchange, etc), you can then sell them on your other products and services more easily.

Here's how it works, and any company can do this. Sell one medium sized business on using Microsoft Dynamics CRM for their customer management. As their CRM deployment grows, they'll want to buy more Windows Server licenses to run it. They'll also be buying more SQL Server licenses for the databases. They'll want to run Active Directory and Exchange server so that their email contacts and calendars tie in with the CRM contacts and calendars. They get used to using CRM to share documents among employees relating to their customer accounts, and want to be able to do that for non-CRM activities too. So now they buy a few Sharepoint servers to share their Office documents with a company intranet. They see that if they were all using Office Communicator, the status of people collaborating in the Sharepoint site could be displayed, so they set up another Windows Server with an Office Communicator gateway. It's all working so well, so why not try Microsoft's solutions for point of sale, retail management, supply chain management, etc?

So you see, the fact that you become a trusted partner with your client allows you to sell *your* other products and services to them. If you were to create all these pseudo-businesses to cross-sell everything, you lose that. Just because they bought product A from you doesn't mean they want to buy product B from someone else, solely on your recommendation. It might look more like you're recommending them out of some commission relationship instead of because you think it's the best solution.

Off Topic:

P.S. The example matches your examples even more directly. Microsoft also offers business advice forums (MSDN, TechNet, etc), advertising (MSN AdCenter, aQuantive, etc), stationary (aQuantive, etc), web hosting (Live), business books & kits (MS Press), and products to those same customers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But remember, Bill Gates was rich before he started Microsoft.

The point is that if one website gets very well known, then a recommendation to another site will look like a proffessional opinion.
    Jake Arkinstall

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you think you'll make more sales referring your customers to a 3rd party site as opposed to directly selling the complementary product or service to your customer?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I don't know.

But it seems to me that people like a variety of different sites, managed in different ways. What people don't know can't hurt them.
    Jake Arkinstall

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys.

My latest idea is actually not something to sell, but a way of making web development much quicker, therefore make the money in a day rather than a couple of months. The idea is actually quite simple; I make a series of functions which run the entire back-end of a site. This includes a cart, members area, product display, admin tools, and whatever. I am developing this inline with a client's website, so every step I add to the site, I add a more flexible version in a function. Then, I create the design, and wherever in the HTML I want to put a login area, for example, I just call the function in PHP. simple.
    <offtopic>
    did you every hear of asp.net? take a look at how .net does itl will help you out in your project
    </offtopic>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...My idea of success will always be to earn more money than I do, which is basically destructive because when I do earn more, I still won't feel successful...
    That's not such a bad thing. There is a theory in business that people should constantly be looking for higher paying opportunities. I know a guy who works in this way, and he's not self-employed. He'll get a job in a company, and immediately begin sending out resumes to other companies. He'll move up to a higher-paying job every six months or so, and has gotten to a point where he's become a vice president of a company at a very young age and rather quickly.

Some companies will frown upon this sort of thing, but many are not bothered by it and happily hire guys like that. I think you could apply the same logic in the self-employed world. Always be looking for an idea or opportunity that could generate a better income than the one you have. I don't think it's greedy or destructive. It's logical to assess your current situation, determine what the next feasible step is in your career progression, and strive to get there.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't sound like success to me - where's the part about enjoying your life, giving back to others, etc. Chasing money your whole life could be a bummer.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    Doesn't sound like success to me - where's the part about enjoying your life, giving back to others, etc. Chasing money your whole life could be a bummer.
    Exactly, well stated. This is why the majority of people atleast in the U.S don't have happy lives, they think money is the answer to everything. Giving back could be one of the greatest things you can do in your life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shockbotkins View Post
    This is why the majority of people atleast in the U.S don't have happy lives, they think money is the answer to everything.
    I'm not sure it's really fair to say that the majority of people don't have happy lives. Yes, there are so many miserable people and many of them are misled or materialistic. But, just because people aren't as happy as they could be doesn't mean that they are totally unhappy - people are amazing and different, complex and changing. I think that most people are good, and are happy to some degree although many people lack true fulfillment. Many people are unhappy though, for sure.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been a very insightful thread. I don't aim to make huge profits off the internet just yet. But now I know why I'm not afraid to jump in since the fiscal barriers on the internet are very small when compared to traditional business ventures. All I've got to lose is the cost for buying a domain and hosting.

My short term goal would be just to make any sort of profit from a passive income- any, no matter how small. If it pays off my monthly hosting and then some, I consider it a success, and then build off from there.

And it's better than aiming high right away and giving up because you haven't met any goals yet. Treat it like a physical workout plan- you cannot overexert yourself. You need to jog small hills, or train with smaller weights, before you can get anywhere else.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great reading guys.

Thanks,
    Vince.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Money, Money, Money - Obsessed or what??

OK, we need money to put food in our bellies and a roof over our heads. But it ain't that clever to have loads. Success is NOT money or Porsche or Rolex. Get a Grip!!!

Be comfortable, get a life/work balance... I'm speaking from experience. I had a 'great' corporate job, fast up the ladder, good pay, perks, bonuses, etc... 10 years I was a slave to the clock - yep I earned but I spent - BUT Was I bored / stressed out in the end. They owned and stiffled me!

Got out to be a freelnacer and I now earn considerably less BUT I see my wife and kids now, go outside and breath fresh air, moved to sunny ol' Spain, swim, talk to real people as well (yep I have real friends now, not work colleagues or virtual friends).

Money, Money - just make enough, not too much cos it won't stop a divorce, it won't stop obesity, you'll just waste it anyway!!!

.... can anyone lend me a dollar for cup of coffee!

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure it's really fair to say that the majority of people don't have happy lives. Yes, there are so many miserable people and many of them are misled or materialistic. But, just because people aren't as happy as they could be doesn't mean that they are totally unhappy - people are amazing and different, complex and changing. I think that most people are good, and are happy to some degree although many people lack true fulfillment. Many people are unhappy though, for sure.
    True my response was most likely premature by stating the majority. But I did respond based on what I see around me in everyday life. Usually when I'm talking to someone, making more money comes into the conversation some how and I try hard to avoid such a conversation, but if I walked outside and asked 10 people what they would like to have more of in there life I'm pretty confident 7-8 out of 10 say money. Even my friends find money to be the most important meaning of life, they're majoring in careers that make big money but things they hate to do, they've told me this multiple times but they want a big boat, a evo (car), a 12 bedroom house and all of this other stuff they think will make them happy. It's ashame how our society has become adapted to materialistic things or a "bigger is better" mindset and just can't be happy with who they are or what they have. Most people I see or talk to in everyday life seem they need to reach a certian point whether that be money, weight, this or that to start living there life to the fullest which is ashame. But you're right that there is a lot of good people out there but I just happen to see more on the materialistic/money equals success side.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shockbotkins View Post
    Exactly, well stated. This is why the majority of people atleast in the U.S don't have happy lives, they think money is the answer to everything. Giving back could be one of the greatest things you can do in your life.
    Thanks Ghandi.

I don't find that to be true. Yes, other countries take huge breaks and get huge vacation times (who can complain with that), to be successful in a competitive industry requires one to be competitive.

Get ahead and then one can slow down and learn to enjoy everything else.

Ryan
    Upcoming Movies - Movie News. Updated Daily.
    Movie Trailers - Awesome trailer site. Nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my observation, if you can't 'enjoy everything else' today then you won't be able to enjoy it all after you get ahead. There are so many middle aged people who spend the first part of their life getting ahead and are now soulsick. I love working hard, making money, and reaching goals but I am in it for today, not tomorrow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it personally amusing that some people suggest money doesnt buy happiness. They just dont know where to shop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post
    I find it personally amusing that some people suggest money doesnt buy happiness. They just dont know where to shop.
    Why don't you tell us!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you tell us!!
    Hey youre the one with the fancy avatar - you tell me!