SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id say go for it. Worst case scenario is that you simply have to go back to work, in which any case is where you already are now.

Its 1:30 am here - Im off to bed.

Good night

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahaha.. I just realized where you were from.

Is that the normal outlook on life from your country? I have two really good friends who live down there.. and they are always like.. "figjam, man".

Night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melody muse View Post
    I think if I went home today and told him that I wanted to quit my job and start working full time on the business, he'd try to talk me out of it. I suppose you make a good point though.. I should just ask him now instead of letting this notion delay my planning any longer.

We're both still under 30 years old and completely debt free. Our lease is up in Nov though.. and we're looking at houses right now because all I hear is how I'm throwing my money away on rent. And.. it would be nice to have an office I could deduct off my taxes.

He's just started his own small business building custom computers for gamers and such.. not exactly stable by any means, but it did just kick off last month so we'll see where that goes. My research has proved a help to him already.. and he has some killer ideas for my plan once in a while as well.

The plan was to continue working the 9-5, and have my current "in the works" project up and running before the first of the year... which to be honest, keeps sounding father and farther off the more time I spend around these forums. I'm really trying to do it right though, instead of jumping the gun and tossing up some crap just to say it's up there.

The idea of flipping a property to gain some capital for this venture also crossed my mind. That's like.. a huge, huge, huge risk though.. especially with the market issues in our area right now.
    If you're looking to buy a home, I'd definitely recommend that both of you keep the 9 - 5 gig until you're in your home and then revisit the idea of leaving the 9 - 5.

Unless you really know what you're doing, you'll lose money on flipping and in most areas the market is too far down to make flipping even a break even proposition.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who said he had a 9-5? lmfao...

Yeah.. there's no way I'd try to pull off a flip right now in our area. I'd most likely end up owing someone a kidney the way the market has been over the past several months.

Buying a house in general.. isn't usually a bad idea per say... I think the trick will be not getting in over our heads on a mortgage while I'm trying to keep funds liquid for the business expenses.

Of course I realize all this.. but does he listen? lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melody muse View Post
    Ahaha.. I just realized where you were from.

Is that the normal outlook on life from your country? I have two really good friends who live down there.. and they are always like.. "figjam, man".

Night.
    Definitely not. Everyone was asking me when I left my job in this almost distraught voice .."What are you going to do now??" As If i had just been told I had a terminal illness and had 3 weeks to live.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    less than 5 hrs 30 mins sleep? You must be popular with StarBucks...

Anyways, is this thread actually going anywhere? (says he who is keeping it alive )
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youre right, Ive not had much sleep, although I feel strangely refreshed

Ok back on topic, would be great to hear from some already established web people about their experiences and how they went about making it big.

PS. I dont drink coffee

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have made plenty of money, but I don't have any exciting story to tell. I've stuck with it, made good decisions, tried lots of things and succeeded at some of them and built upon my strengths. I focus on 'best practices' and working in sincerely positive way that I feel good about, and I think that comes through to my clients.

I don't know what 'big money' means, and everyone defines it differently. One thing is for sure, I didn't make money by chasing money. I focused on being good at what I do, and building a reputation for being reliable and skilled. When opportunities to grow my business arose and they were compatible with the life that I want, I took them.

I think that if I had wasted valuable time trying to learn how to 'make big money' I may not have made it. It's those who find something that they like to do and invest energy into being great at it - those are the ones who can ultimately be successful (with money and other things).

Learning how to do business is tough, but if you are just doing it for the money you may get 'just the money'.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    I focused on being good at what I do, and building a reputation for being reliable and skilled. When opportunities to grow my business arose and they were compatible with the life that I want, I took them.

I think that if I had wasted valuable time trying to learn how to 'make big money' I may not have made it. It's those who find something that they like to do and invest energy into being great at it - those are the ones who can ultimately be successful (with money and other things).
    Wow, this is very solid advise. Thanks for sharing. Strongly agree
    I being using peter drucker 4 rules to guide my business decision and it's some what related to what you just mention.

1. focus on your strength/passion
    2. focus on future
    3. focus on opportunity
    4. focus on that something that will lead the way(tough) rather then easy.

And of course, focus on being helpful ... then you will succeed
    1. Make Money Online Now Resource Center!
    2. Ask Blog Expert For Your Blogging Solution.
    3. Read Free Guide Make Money Online Now!
    4. Make Money Online Real Success!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with the whole commercial website for profit thing in 1999, I've made 6 figure profits+ since 2002.

Also, though I had money at the time, I started my first ecommerce site with only an investment of $1200 in 2003 (including the initial inventory), it did half a million in sales it's first year.

So yes, it is possible.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ewin View Post
    ramone_johnny,

I wish you the best of luck. I've been involved in Internet business for eleven years. My first experience was working through an affiliate program. I had approximately 120 websites. At the time, I was working about 20 hours per week and bringing in about 13k/month, with an 85% margin. Not bad for a student; but unfortunately, I was lucky.
    How in the world were you able to keep track of 120 websites, let alone manage them? Checking each one of them, keeping track of what email or sales order is from which website is no minor task.

Even more surprising is the fact that you only worked 20 hours per week. Amazing. May be you had sidekicks working with you. You must have had. It seems practical impossibility for one man to manage all those by himself. Consider yourself lucky though for having been able to generate that hefty income.
    ------------------

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rageh View Post
    How in the world were you able to keep track of 120 websites, let alone manage them? Checking each one of them, keeping track of what email or sales order is from which website is no minor task.

A lot of management can be automated... he mentioned he used an affiliate program. It's quite possible his websites required very little upkeep and most of his efforts were spent on marketing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beley View Post
    A lot of management can be automated... he mentioned he used an affiliate program. It's quite possible his websites required very little upkeep and most of his efforts were spent on marketing.
    Well, I see.
    ------------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen View Post
    I started with the whole commercial website for profit thing in 1999, I've made 6 figure profits+ since 2002.

Also, though I had money at the time, I started my first ecommerce site with only an investment of $1200 in 2003 (including the initial inventory), it did half a million in sales it's first year.

So yes, it is possible.
    I cant help myself - HOW?????

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a pretty interesting thread! I, like many, hope to make it big online. The problem i have though is simple...

NO PATIENCE

I am the most impatient person you will meet when it comes to making money. I wake up every day and think, right, how am i going to make a fortune online today. Not within a few days, weeks, or months, but today. I'm always thinking about going for a big project but i don't think i have the patience for it. Though, i do believe i will go for something big sooner or later.

Another problem of mine is that I am far too slow at everything i do (for example it's taken me like 2 hours to read this topic). I get so little done each day. I hate designing sites because it takes me like a day to code 1 page. Not sure why i am so slow to be honest. Anyway have any ideas why? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done this for five years, I pretty much know how to get people to my site(s) but I have yet to make any major money, and lately I thought switching to "behind the scenes" stuff would work better for me. Plans have changed, to say the least. This thread is great, and mad respect to those who have worked hard, and seen the light so many are dying to see, including me.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm still studying(final 6 months), so have little real-world business advice to contribute to this very helpful thread.

I have always worked really hard at the start when circumstance allows, and I believe that it's a very good work-model to encourage.
    In starting a new business I would put a large amount of effort into making it successful - learning what I need to, planning ahead and putting structures in place so that I wouldn't have to sustain putting in the large amounts of effort - In short I would plan to create self-sustaining systems that require as little as possible ongoing effort.

In starting a business I would be looking foremost at pleasing the client, as I have found that happy clients have been the most beneficial thing to a young business.

Personally, i'm not interested in earning large amounts of money. well.. it would be pleasing to be able to give away more than I keep for myself.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm....

I have a bit of experience selling online....but not from home. I've always had tangible products, regular hours, etc.
    I've often wondered about having a group- kind of like an investment club- that would buy/start a site and run from there. Say one was strong on design, one on advertising, one on products.....

Strength in numbers- it waters down profits, but cuts risk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id like to hear from more that are doing well financially from their web business.

Anyone?

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post
    Id like to hear from more that are doing well financially from their web business.

Anyone?
    Still looking for that easy way to that big money you want so much?
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    Still looking for that easy way to that big money you want so much?
    Not at all. I know its never easy. Perhaps my wording was wrong. I just enjoy reading the experiences and stories from those who are already there.

I guess it gives some encouragement.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Revenue is easy; profit is hard. I hit $100,000 in annual revenue from my websites in 2004, and I credit much of my success to the help of this community. I now hit that mark pretty early into the year. But it's not like revenue goes into the bank; you spent it on advertising to get that revenue, you spent it buying whatever you're selling, you spent it on developers and designers and support reps...
    Good point. I can spend 100K to gross 105K in a year with no problem. But the work to go into that wouldn't be worth that 5K extra.

Since I specialize and only work with content sites -- where money is made from advertisers/sponsors -- my idea of success is hitting a stable point of living income.

I'll have months where I think, "I'm going to easily gross over $100k this year!" But then a shift happens -- search engines, season, etc -- and I then think, "I hope I don't have to move back home."

A job that has in income that shifts by a multiple of 4 fold -- sadly, this has been true for me -- I never know what's coming next.

With all the time that goes into content creation, one always wonders if the time couldn't have been better spent creating a program or service people could purchase.

Even as I ask myself that, I see myself building more content sites. Guess it's what I know.

As an example of income drop, anybody else get hit with the latest changes at Google?

Ryan
    Upcoming Movies - Movie News. Updated Daily.
    Movie Trailers - Awesome trailer site. Nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Money

Big Money? Not me
    Decent Money? Yeah
    TurnKey Dropshipping Program
    Dropshipping @ Wholesale Prices
    Over 200,000 Products
    No Minimum Order

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casbboy View Post
    A job that has in income that shifts by a multiple of 4 fold -- sadly, this has been true for me -- I never know what's coming next.
    This has been the case for me also. Some months I can make in excess of $1,000. Others, like the past month just gone, I barely made a few hundred.

Ive noticed holiday periods really take an effect on paid conversions.

Its interesting and weird at the same time.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making online revenue stable has been the hardest thing for me. I make enough online to live comfortably on, but it doesn't feel stable like a job does. Owning everything yourself, the fluctuations are on you instead of your boss. The worry about a supplier falling through, your payment provider having a problem, a sudden legal issue, a new regulation affecting your services all become your burden instead of someone else's. All these affect the perceived stability even if you're paying the bills.

Being an entrepreneur without an outside investor backing you takes some mental fortitude to handle. This is where diversity really is the only answer. While many people can build successful businesses that do one thing and one thing well, they'll always be more susceptible to sudden failure than if they had multiple different businesses in multiple different markets with multiple different supply and delivery chains.

Some people can handle that risk, and gladly will if that one thing they do is something they love. I need more assurance than that, so I'm building horizontally. I hope and expect to get into several new markets with new products over the next year where I'm only in a few now.