SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 224
  1. #51
    SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane - Australia
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh...

    of course

  2. #52
    SitePoint Wizard jimbo_dk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread with some invaluable advice. I've been looking for ways to create a passive income that I can fall back upon, instead of always hunting down new clients. So far all I've been able to come up with is web-hosting. I've got a couple of web-apps in mind, but still at the idea stage. Don't know if it'll ever materialize.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

  3. #53
    Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancaster University, UK
    Posts
    7,062
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people are in the same situation: You have a brilliant idea, but you don't really get round to it, mainly because you think you might be wasting your time.

    Maybe sitepoint could host some group-projects, so if someone comes up with the idea, the team leader splits the project between members of the team, and the profit is shared between the brainstormer, manager and developers. Just another idea... lol
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

  4. #54
    SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane - Australia
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    ....but you don't really get round to it
    Sorry mate, dont mean to come across gruff and please dont take offense to this but...

    Laziness would have to be the best sure fired way to fail. For me, failure is not an option, success means everything. I do whatever it takes, and I mean that.

    I get an idea, I give it some thought. If it seems viable I do it, I make it happen, I take action

    Theres really no other way to put it. For me, action is EVERYTHING You can talk about *going to do it* it forever.

    Even if you give it a go, and it doesnt work out, who cares? At least you tried. You learn from it and you move forward.

    Not getting round to it, is a terrible mindset!

    John

  5. #55
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,670
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggest stumbling block for me is having too many ideas and wanting to implement them all ASAP. It's taking a lot of discipline to try to concentrate on one avenue while the others just sit around in limbo (while they could be earning money!)

    But I second what some others have said - it shouldn't just be about the money, you should look at improving all aspects of your life. I'm gradually moving towards a 3 days week, maybe 2 day when my second child is born. Basically, with lots of automated income streams, this will give you some breathing space with regard to leaving some of the businesses on auto-pilot for short periods while you do things like enjoy life - I really hate only getting to spend weekends with my family!

  6. #56
    Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Denver, Phang-Nga, Thailand
    Posts
    4,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox View Post
    But I second what some others have said - it shouldn't just be about the money, you should look at improving all aspects of your life. I'm gradually moving towards a 3 days week, maybe 2 day when my second child is born. Basically, with lots of automated income streams, this will give you some breathing space with regard to leaving some of the businesses on auto-pilot for short periods while you do things like enjoy life - I really hate only getting to spend weekends with my family!
    This is really great advice. A business shouldn't just be about money, otherwise you wind up rich and lonely. I wrap my business around my life, and try to make it provide me with time, the ability to travel, flexibility, and enjoyment of daily things as well as an income. I could make a lot more money if I just wanted money!

    Quote Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post
    Laziness would have to be the best sure fired way to fail. For me, failure is not an option, success means everything. I do whatever it takes, and I mean that.
    This seems like a miserable way to approach life to me. So many incredible people claim to have benefited greatly and learned from their failures - the encourage everyone to try things and if they fail, keep going. But, to say that you'll do whatever it takes and failure is not an option, isn't that just arbitrarily putting one goal above everything else in life?

    I would happily watch my business crumble and fail if I knew that I had to get a regular job to support my family. I have had lots of projects fail and learned from them. As long is things are going well and I am happy, so what if there is a failure in my life? A balanced life isn't consistent with 'failure is not an option', I don't think.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

    SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

  7. #57
    SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane - Australia
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each to their own I guess, but for me, personally, being passionate and driven is part of who I am and quite honestly, I wouldnt want it any other way.

    I dont think Arnold ever walked into the gym thinking .."ah well, if I dont win Olympia, thats ok, I could always be a milkman"

  8. #58
    Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Denver, Phang-Nga, Thailand
    Posts
    4,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps, but bodybuilding is different than business and for every Arnold there are literally thousands of disappointed milkmen. I'm not saying that drive isn't a good thing, but to be so absolute and unforgiving with goals and objectives in business seems to be an unpleasant and risky approach to me.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

    SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

  9. #59
    SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane - Australia
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youre right - Id be miserable in life if I found myself a dissapointed milkman too, which is again why I am so determined and motivated to succeed.

    When you dont have much to lose, you only have everything to gain.

  10. #60
    Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Denver, Phang-Nga, Thailand
    Posts
    4,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh but there are lots of happy milkmen, too. It's really just how you look at things. If you think that you need to reach certain goals to be happy, then you're basically saying that you're not happy and won't be unless certain conditions are met. If you say you are happy now but have goals that you want to achieve, then you can be happy along the way.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

    SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

  11. #61
    SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully you love doing what you're wanting to do, if you're in it for the money I don't believe it will last very long. I saw a quote some where that made perfect sense, it was something along the lines of "If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life." and it's very true.

  12. #62
    SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane - Australia
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    If you think that you need to reach certain goals to be happy, then you're basically saying that you're not happy and won't be unless certain conditions are met.
    You're probably right, although I wouldnt go as far as saying that Im unhappy. I guess at the moment Im just content, which is ok for some but its definitely not for me. I want to be financially successful, period.

    Everyones definition for what happiness means to them is different. For me its about running through the streets naked throwing $50 notes in the air!

    Anyway, its 2:30am here and Im buggered - Im off to bed.

  13. #63
    Trash Boat mkoenig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to make 100K a year is to either have multiple websites with multiple revenue sources. Maybe 20-50 Great sites all in their own little niche. Each drawing 1,000+ unique visitors a day. (this is harder than it sounds, i can't seem to do it lol)

    Or

    Create a Unique Concept (Myspace, FaceBook, ect) that is viral in its marketing strategy. (Viral meaning it promotes itself)

    Or

    Build up sites and sell them to suckers that think they are worth millions. Example seo.com sold for 5 Million dollars and if you bother to google it
    http://www.google.com/search?q=seo.com
    It doesn't even show up in the first 10 pages.

    But these are just guesses as i have no idea how to make 100K a year, and if i did i would keep it a secret anyway... lol
    Last edited by mkoenig; Aug 8, 2007 at 10:37. Reason: spelling cauese im dumb

  14. #64
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet is big money.

    Look the kid who turn down a billion dollar for not selling facebook.
    Establish TV media don't buy up internet company or website for nothing.
    How many hours your friends spend on internet, and how many of the decision maker will go online look for information to make decision. Then, you know this can make money.

    In the old day, I have salesman running around, cause me a lot of money just to meet those people and now, using online, we can reach them easily ... well, go figure how much money can be make here.
    1. Make Money Online Now Resource Center!
    2. Ask Blog Expert For Your Blogging Solution.
    3. Read Free Guide Make Money Online Now!
    4. Make Money Online Real Success!

  15. #65
    SitePoint Wizard Lil_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irkyo View Post
    I think you got a lot of useful information from all the comments above. The most important thing is to start doing smth!! it' s good to plan and write business plans but you should move in order to live, the same is about online business you should start doing smth in oder to reach your aim! I agree about putting up money. Nothing comes from nowhere. It's for certain. You should give smth in order to get smth. I think you have all the necessary conditions for starting your successful business and getting money. Just try!)) I wish you good luck ))
    smth is meaningless. Please type the entire word - something.

  16. #66
    SitePoint Wizard Lil_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    Ahh but there are lots of happy milkmen, too. It's really just how you look at things. If you think that you need to reach certain goals to be happy, then you're basically saying that you're not happy and won't be unless certain conditions are met. If you say you are happy now but have goals that you want to achieve, then you can be happy along the way.
    I think you perfectly nailed it!

  17. #67
    SitePoint Enthusiast ewin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ramone_johnny,

    I wish you the best of luck. I've been involved in Internet business for eleven years. My first experience was working through an affiliate program. I had approximately 120 websites. At the time, I was working about 20 hours per week and bringing in about 13k/month, with an 85% margin. Not bad for a student; but unfortunately, I was lucky.

    Later, I built a web development business. I started this as a freelancer. I began outsourcing and eventually hired full time developers. After this, came a book keeper, a sales person, a project manager, and more development staff. The sales grew year over year to mildly respectable numbers... the problem was that the margins were too low. I closed the business.

    In 04', I built a hosting business with a partner. After 2 years, we sold the business for a tidy profit. It was absolutely a positive experience.

    Yes, you can generate a six figure income from the Internet. However, you need to work hard. Understand the market, understand your niche. Plan for your success, and always, always, always, make sure to pack your parachute.
    Josh Ewin, Director of Marketing
    Solar VPS - The Best Price to Performance Ratio In Cloud and VPS Hosting

  18. #68
    Trash Boat mkoenig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ewin View Post
    ramone_johnny,

    I wish you the best of luck. I've been involved in Internet business for eleven years. My first experience was working through an affiliate program. I had approximately 120 websites. At the time, I was working about 20 hours per week and bringing in about 13k/month, with an 85% margin. Not bad for a student; but unfortunately, I was lucky.

    Later, I built a web development business. I started this as a freelancer. I began outsourcing and eventually hired full time developers. After this, came a book keeper, a sales person, a project manager, and more development staff. The sales grew year over year to mildly respectable numbers... the problem was that the margins were too low. I closed the business.

    In 04', I built a hosting business with a partner. After 2 years, we sold the business for a tidy profit. It was absolutely a positive experience.

    Yes, you can generate a six figure income from the Internet. However, you need to work hard. Understand the market, understand your niche. Plan for your success, and always, always, always, make sure to pack your parachute.
    I found that highly enlightening. Sounds like you came full circle.

  19. #69
    SEO/SEM Unkn0wnPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ewin View Post
    ramone_johnny,

    I wish you the best of luck. I've been involved in Internet business for eleven years. My first experience was working through an affiliate program. I had approximately 120 websites. At the time, I was working about 20 hours per week and bringing in about 13k/month, with an 85% margin. Not bad for a student; but unfortunately, I was lucky.

    Later, I built a web development business. I started this as a freelancer. I began outsourcing and eventually hired full time developers. After this, came a book keeper, a sales person, a project manager, and more development staff. The sales grew year over year to mildly respectable numbers... the problem was that the margins were too low. I closed the business.

    In 04', I built a hosting business with a partner. After 2 years, we sold the business for a tidy profit. It was absolutely a positive experience.

    Yes, you can generate a six figure income from the Internet. However, you need to work hard. Understand the market, understand your niche. Plan for your success, and always, always, always, make sure to pack your parachute.
    That's an amazing story, thanks for sharing this.

  20. #70
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    beley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    LaGrange, Georgia
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem is not that I work too hard or long because I'm trying to meet goals or be successful... I just love what I do too much!

    It takes much more discipline for me to balance family, work and play. Sometimes I feel like a recluse because I work so much, but I love it! I love everything that I do... from working with clients in an advertising agency to building my own businesses to my photography.

    I love spending time with my family and friends too... and traveling and learning new hobbies like playing the guitar and poker.

    It takes a lot of discipline to work XX hours a day and go home. I'll get in a zone and just keep going. I've altered my schedule so I can get up at 4:30 AM and get in early, so I can get home early to see my kids before dinner and bedtime.

    Money is important, but it's not what drives me and it doesn't have anything to do with how "successful" I am -- it's just a vehicle that allows me to do what I love (both work and personal).

    I honestly believe I'm one of the few that truly loves going to the office every day. That's rare from what I can tell, and that is pretty sad if you ask me. I do pretty well, but I did this when there was no money in it -- and was just as happy.

  21. #71
    Trash Boat mkoenig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice

  22. #72
    SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane - Australia
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beley View Post
    My problem is not that I work too hard or long because I'm trying to meet goals or be successful... I just love what I do too much!

    It takes much more discipline for me to balance family, work and play. Sometimes I feel like a recluse because I work so much, but I love it! I love everything that I do... from working with clients in an advertising agency to building my own businesses to my photography.

    I love spending time with my family and friends too... and traveling and learning new hobbies like playing the guitar and poker.

    It takes a lot of discipline to work XX hours a day and go home. I'll get in a zone and just keep going. I've altered my schedule so I can get up at 4:30 AM and get in early, so I can get home early to see my kids before dinner and bedtime.

    Money is important, but it's not what drives me and it doesn't have anything to do with how "successful" I am -- it's just a vehicle that allows me to do what I love (both work and personal).

    I honestly believe I'm one of the few that truly loves going to the office every day. That's rare from what I can tell, and that is pretty sad if you ask me. I do pretty well, but I did this when there was no money in it -- and was just as happy.

    Mate, youre not alone - this read was awesome!!

    I too, much like yourself can put in 15 hour days working because I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

    Its one of Trumps rules - you MUST love what youre doing!

  23. #73
    SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people on here make over $100k, they just want to keep it private as I would do the same. I myself don't make that much yet but at the pace I am going I should be by 2010 when I'll only be 25 years old which is pretty good compared to what the majority 25 year olds in the U.S. make which I believe is in the 20-30k income a year range. But I don't believe money makes you successful, to me personal success is just another word for happiness. Instead of "are you successful?" you should be asking yourself "are you happy?" with where you are in your life. But we all have different opinions on what success is, that's usually why the majority of people aren't happy with there lives because they're trying to live up to someone elses standards or definition of success instead of there own.

  24. #74
    SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane - Australia
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Google definition...

    suc·cess
    n.
    The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted: attributed their success in business to hard work.

    The gaining of fame or prosperity: an artist spoiled by success.
    The extent of such gain.
    One that is successful: The plan was a success.
    Obsolete. A result or an outcome.

    Hap·pi·ness
    n.
    [From Happy.]

    1. Good luck; good fortune; prosperity.
    All happiness bechance to thee in Milan!
    Shak.

    2. An agreeable feeling or condition of the soul arising from good fortune or propitious happening of any kind; the possession of those circumstances or that state of being which is attended with enjoyment; the state of being happy; contentment; joyful satisfaction; felicity; blessedness.

    3. Fortuitous elegance; unstudied grace; -- used especially of language.
    Some beauties yet no precepts can declare,
    For there's a happiness, as well as care.

  25. #75
    SitePoint Enthusiast ewin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad folks here liked the experience I've shared. With regards to 'overworking' one's self, it really does take discipline to learn when to step away from the keyboard, and when to force yourself to get something done. In the end, what you need to look at is productivity... not simply hours spent in front of a monitor. Building the balance that beley mentioned is vital. If you're not making time to 'sharpen the saw', then you'll end up just overworking yourself. However, if you take time to rest and recuperate (i.e. enjoy yourself!), you'll probably find that you'll be more productive at the end of the day.
    Josh Ewin, Director of Marketing
    Solar VPS - The Best Price to Performance Ratio In Cloud and VPS Hosting


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •