User Tag List

Thread: Headers

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Headers

I'm going to start converting an older site to CSS. I'm not planning on doing anything with line-spacing throughout most of the site, but I want the headers to just have the same spacing as the rest of the text and just visually show them by font-size, bold, caps, etc. Can anyone tell me how to specify that..just the spacing part, I mean, in my stylesheet? Thanks in advance.

.net install meltdown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try experimenting with the "line-height" property.

More info: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#line-height

HTH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit lost on what you want to do. From the understanding I have now, I too would suggest the line-height property, but I think there may be others that can apply too. Can you explain it a little more or give a link or something? :-)

~~Ian

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean you want the same amount of white space around header tags (<h1>, etc.) and paragraph tags and everything?

You'd use margin settings to mess with that in CSS. Try setting them to 0.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'm doing now, with the old HTML is not using any headers. I know that's wrong and css will allow me to use them and still be able to control how they look. The text on the site is verdana, arial, etc., size 2. I figure to make that 80% and it'll look about the same to most people. The part that logically should be Header 1 is also size 2, all caps and bold. It's set in a colored table row and I don't want any extra spacing around it because that'll make the row too thick. I figure that might be line-height, but I haven't used that and don't really know how it works.

As long as I'm asking stuff..if the font size is 80% for the body, td, p, ul, ol, and so forth, then when I do want it bigger, how do I figure that out? Just play around with it? Because it seems when you use a percentage for all the text it seems that when you specify a different percentage for something in particular it sees it as a percentage of the default percentage you've already set. Is that right? I hope someone understands that, because reading it over I'm not sure I do anymore.

Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions.