SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: .ws tld

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is everyone's opinion of the .WS top level domain name? Is it going to really rival .com, register.com seem to think so but does everybody else.

I have just registered some prime .WS domains that I can't dream of getting in .com.

If you have a site on a .WS what are your experiences with getting visitors, do you do any non-web advertising?, are the visitors always being refered by other websites or are people remembering your site name?

I would love to know what you all think.

------------------
    Karl Austin

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the proposed TLD's some of which are approved and should be implemented by the end of the year (heard that before, not holding breath) will be as popular or more popular than .COM. Country codes are being used outside their intended purpose but will still be limited in their implementation. Registrar companies are just betting on the scarcity of .com names to sell these regional names outside their regions.

Shop, Web, Banc and Sex domain names will be hot commodities if implemented as planned for next year.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    ICQ 29015947

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends where you live what you think of when you start thinking about the net.

I admit that most people do think .com but if I am guessing a domain name then I will try .co.uk, .com, .net, .to in that order at the moment and if I know a company is from the East then i will try .com.tw or .co.th.

I don't think .shop, .web etc. will fail because they will be so easy to remember and branding is the key to success, if the average man in the street can remember your domain name then you are on to a winner.

------------------
    Karl Austin

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that the alternate TLDs will get much business; just publicity. After all, it sounds stupid to say:
    dell.shop
    books.shop
    premiunpetroleumproducts.shop
    wingspan.banc
    jentyandbillings.firm (lawyers)
    However it will open up a bunch of new possibilities such as...
    wantto.shop
    come-on-in-and.shop

But to conclude I think that the TLDs will fail terribly...after all, when you think of the Internet you think of .com, right?

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think .com because there isn't much other choice. If you want to do commercial business on the net it was the only game in town until recently. Banks are clamouring for the .banc domain. You could trigger higher security off of that TLD in proxy servers, browsers, servers. Who is to say that two .banc servers talking to each other can't use 256-bit or 1024-bit encryption. They could make it so you need at least 128-bit encryption (which is exportable now) just to connect as a consumer.

If every adult site was required to have a .xxx or .sex TLD then it would be easier for parents to filter the net for their children.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    ICQ 29015947

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere today that there are domain registrars out there who will let you pre-register for these in-the-works TLD's. Who are they and where can they be found?

I would think that there would be some restrictions on pre-registering a name before the "final blessing" had been given by the all important Internic.

But then again..this is cyberspace..

Sparkie

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But how will ICANN prevent adult sites from getting .banc, .firm, or .shop TLDs? They can't...if they did then I'm absolutely sure that they'd get sued.

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure they can. GO try and register a .mil TLD. Try to register a .edu TLD. Unless you fit the requirements then you can't get it.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    ICQ 29015947

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I have a good example of how you can check it. In order to get the .be (Belgium) You have to have all legal documents which proove you are a company that is located in Belgium. You could do the same with the .banc domain or .shop domain. The .sex domain could be open to anyone.

Johanns Christophe

------------------
    http://freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say this out loud:

dev.web

Try it with or without the period. That TLD has potential. It'll be gone within 10 seconds of registration opening up on .web. If somebody else doesn't take it first I'll have a script trying to register it as soon as it opens!

------------------
    Dan Grossman
    webmaster@websitegoodies.com

http://www.websitegoodies.com
    Comprehensive resources for new web developers --
    Learn to build the web,
    Create for your site,
    Promote your website.

** Signup for our free weekly newsletter, WSG Webmaster News, with articles and links just for web developers (http://www.websitegoodies.com/archive)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .web TLD's have been open to pre-registration for a long while now. I can't remember where but they have.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.webtld.com/

and check this out: anyone in the us can get a .us address.... free! I wonder why it never caught on? http://www.nic.us/usdom-faq.html

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds cool. When to .web domains become "active"? IE: more people start selling them, you can post sites on them, they're recognized as actual domains, etc?

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, of course as we speak, .com and .net are the TLDs that are burned into my head.
    But the .web sounds damn nice to me. I could easily see the .web and .shop burning into my head easily.

I recently got into this internet game and bought me a .cc domain name.
    What are my odds on making it into anything worth a damn?
    and while im thinking about it, I know that some of these .coms have recently sold for some sickening amounts of money.
    Im a poor, college student...
    Would it be worth my money to buy some of those .webs and .shops to try and turn them for some money?

Im hoping to make my living from the internet, however i have no idea where or how im going to do it =(
    it seems like im blocked by a wall of questions that is building rather than falling

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yea...

what exactly did he mean by "top level" domain name?

and is .cc one?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I have also registerd a few .Ws domain. The problem I am facing is that I cannot find a web hosting service which supports .WS TLD, for reasons I dont know. Any links will be appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Karl:
    What is everyone's opinion of the .WS top level domain name? Is it going to really rival .com, register.com seem to think so but does everybody else.

I have just registered some prime .WS domains that I can't dream of getting in .com.

If you have a site on a .WS what are your experiences with getting visitors, do you do any non-web advertising?, are the visitors always being refered by other websites or are people remembering your site name?

I would love to know what you all think.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rajan_hans: I think you're trying to say that you can't REGISTER a .WS name through most web hosting services.

But you can register a .ws name through www.register.com and then host it with (almost) any web host you like ... All you have to do is enter the DNS server ip numbers in the register.com's control panel.

------------------
    Filmbug Movie Search Engine
    http://www.filmbug.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misja is right, you can use any domain name on any host, all they need to do is add you to thier name server and you need to change the name servers to the name servers of said host and it will work within about 48 hours.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services
    "Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's something interesting that I read...

Some people predict the ".shop, .bank/banc, and .web" domains will do well, but that the ".ws" domains will flop...

The reasoning behind this is that the popular names, like .com, .net, .shop, .web, etc, are popular (or will be popular) because you can say them as a word...nice and easy. With a domain like .ws, you have to spell it (double-u-ess), since it cannot be pronounced. It's just speculation, but I think this is a good theory...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    DomainMailings.com: Who says all the good names are taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk about you're favorite flicks!