SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VPS vs. Semi-Dedicated - Which do I need?

Hi all.

I am in the middle of rebuilding a website for a large magazine. The site currently averages 2 million hits a month, and uses about 10 GB of bandwidth a month. The site has always been on a shared Windows hosting plan, however I feel it has outgrown the shared environment.

The company can't afford a dedicated server, so I am looking for a "middle ground". Now that the company is doing e-mail marketing to an opt-in list of over 50,000 people, and a shared environment simply can't handle that kind of mailing volume.

I am not picky about hosting platform, though I am more familiar with Linux, cPanel, etc. I also have no clue about server management, so I'd need a managed solution.

My question, is what is the difference between semi-dedicated and VPS, and which would you suggest for my needs? Also, can anyone suggest a reliable host that offers fully managed services for less than $100/month?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    There is no big difference between VPS and semi-dedicated (there should not be). The thing with the VPS is that you have part of the server resources for your needs and with the semi-dedicated it is not obligatory as these resources may vary depending on the server type, its configuration and the other users installed currently.

Good Luck!
    A.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A VPS in a virtual server within a server. A semidedicated is a special case of shared hosting (smaller, limited number of accounts per server), and thus similar rules tend to apply to it (email sending limits for example).

Given the huge list, I think VPS is the safer route.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basically a dedicated server will not restrict you on the mailing service. And this will be an added advantage for long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Semi-dedicated plans generally are very fast and allow for greater resource usage in terms of CPU and MEMORY than a standard shared account because of the less amount of users per server.

With Semi-Dedicated account you'll share full CPU and RAM of the server which allows flexibility to run big websites without overloading the server while with a VPS you get a part of server resources and RAM which is Guaranteed RAM along with root access.

100% Uptime Cloud Hosting
    || Dedicated Servers
    Email :: sales @ eUKhost.com
    Complete Web Hosting solutions at eUKhost.com