SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GoTo is a good concept, but I think bidding over $1 for a keyword/phrase is toooooo mutch and if you are in a competitive category for keyword you need to be cleaver to find keywords/phrases that will give you hits for less than $1.

So here is one example of a strategy that can give more productivity out of your GoTo money.

The key is to use their keyword suggestion tool in a different way(http://inventory.go2.com/inventory/Search_Suggestion.jhtml). First look for your most popular keywords. Than copy the most popular phrase (PHRASE not a single word) and paste it again into the search box. That will give you a deeper phrase analysis than with a single keyword search. Then go for phrases that give ~50-100 hits. Top position for those deep categories is usually available for much smaller bid. For example the top bid for "promotion" is $3.88 ($1.01 would give you #6 and 4-7 are usually more productive spots), while if you search for "web site promotion" (which comes first after the "promotion" search) you will see that "web site promotion service" comes up and the top bid for that is $0,39 ($0.17 for #7)

The problem, of course, is that "web site promotion service" gets 48 hits a month, while "promotion" gets little over 3000 (62 time more). That means that you need to find~40 categories (with average of 75 hits) to match the numbers of this one category "promotion". Doing that is question of time, but at prices approx. 10 time less (3.88/0.39), you should seriously consider the option.

I have used this strategy and found over 30 categories, where I am between 5-15 with bids ranging from 1 to 3c.

NOTE. This is an example of a strategy that can work, but does not necessarily work for all sites and keywords. Some keywords are of the nature that deep analysis is impossible.

It would be nice if somebody else has some alternative strategies for GoTo bids.

Jon Pall Hreinsson http://www.webpromotionadvice.com/

[This message has been edited by jonpall (edited July 11, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used GoTo's bidding service, and one of the things that has generated some rather unusual ammounts of trafic for us has been common mis-spellings. I think that this is one of the least mentioned things that helps bring traffic.

Hatton Humphrey
    Connecttexoma.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the key to bringing in traffic from GoTo is bidding on keywords you can win for only one or two cents...not bidding over a dollar for a given keyword; thats insane! I wonder if any site can make a profit bidding that much.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to use GOTO for my site. However my site is not for making money more educating people about fitness.

Therefore I shall be bidding very low.

You only [ay for a click through right ? Damn $3 a click through !!! I'd hope I got little hits for that amount.

50 click throughs (which isn't that much) = $150 !!!!!! Thats for the big boys !!!