User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eclipse Europa Setup - Publishing Issue to Tomcat

Hello

I have 2 versions of Eclipse. I have Eclipse 3.2 and I just downloaded Eclipse Europa. In Eclipse 3.2, I created a new Dynamic Web Project. I then also added a server for Tomcat 5.5. In this server, I unchecked the box "Run models directly from the workspace (do not modify the Tomcat installation)". By doing this, any time I start the Tomcat server from Eclipse, it publishes all of the changes I have made in my Eclipse Workset to the Tomcat location (it creates the project in the webbapps directory). All of this works great and it makes it easy to make changes in Eclipse and then test them using Tomcat. My problem is that I just downloaded Eclipse Eurpoa and I can not get Eclipse Europa to publish my changes to the webapps directory in Tomcat. I attached some screen shots of how I have Eclipse Europa server instance setup. Could someone help me figure out what I have setup incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    assuming the setup is the same in both versions this should work... although I can't see the screen shot yet so I'll take a look later. This sounds like something you may want to check on Eclipse Bugzilla, just a thought.

http://bugs.eclipse.org

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the feedback and I did check the site but I did not see an issue. If you have time to review my screen shots and provide some feedback, it would be appreciated.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have still been trying to get this to work. Since I have seen articles on the web saying they are not certain that Tomcat 6.0 is working, I uninstalled Tomcat 6.0 and installed Tomcat 5.5 but I still can not get Eclipse Europa to publish the contents of my Dynamic Web Project to the WEBAPPS location for Tomcat (C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\webapps). If you have any suggestions at all, they would be greatly appreciated.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had issues with this all week and tried countless things to get this to work. Some how, things are now working (which is good but I really wish I knew exactly what I did to fix things). Here is my only idea, I did remove all instances of Tomcat from my machine and then re-added them to Eclipse as new Servers. This time I checked “Use Tomcat Installation (takes control of Tomcat Installation)” under Server Locations. Now when I start up the Tomcat 5.5 Server instance from within Eclipse, a new directory called wtpwebapps was created (C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\wtpwebapps). The project that was added to my Tomcat 5.5 Instance form within Eclipse now has a directory with all of the files in this folder. Then when I go to http://localhost/Application FolderName/hello, everything works (hello is a servlet I coded). I am very excited about this but it is odd that it took me all week to accomplish this and now I am not exactly sure what I did. The only thing I notice is that the Server Locations area of the Tomcat 5.5 instance within Eclipse is not editable any more. Maybe I set this up incorrectly and since I was not able to change this setting, nothing worked correctly. Does anyone know why you can not change this setting once a Tomcat instance is created in Eclipse?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having exactly this problem. I am looking at an old project which I created before I started using Europa build. Now I cannot get it to start under Tomcat. There is a setting in server.xml in Tomcat config for the "base application directory", normally webapps. Apparently thanks to Web tools its now wtpwebapps and I can't run Tomcat apps. Where is "Server location" which you changed?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize that it took me so long to respond. Here is a screen shot of how I set that option. I hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I got it working, I think by setting up a new workspace with no servers in it then adding Tomcat. Your screen shot (accessible through the "server" tab in lower right in J2EE view) is I think the contents of the server.xml Tomcat config file.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you and I am glad to hear you have it working.