User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wordpress for beginner

Im looking to start a wordpress blog in the simplest way possible. Im currently using blogger.com but think that wordpress gives better graphics and design options so im wanting to switch.

What i need is a VERY simple wordpress solution. Preferably a host where i can just join and set up the blog as easy as possible.

Anyone got advice?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most hosting accounts that feature cpanel will have Fantastico, a script installer, which allows a fast easy install of wordpress. After that you just need to find a theme that works for you, and start creating content. I can suggest Hosting Zoom, which is what I use, but I know that others like Hostgator and more have the same too in terms of fantastico and wordpress.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superthanks! Is it hard to install a custom theme? (like the ones sold here on sitepoint).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If they are already coded it is VERY easy. You simply drop them into your themes folder and from the wordpress admin, you turn it on. That's it!
    Sara

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Niiice! Thank you again both! I promise to dump my new design in the review section when its done!
    Last edited by ses5909; Jul 31, 2007 at 02:42. Reason: link removed. Please keep links in your sig, thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've so far had great luck with a hosting company called "A Small Orange." Cheap, unlimited MySQL DBs, and lots of controls and metrics. It took me about 3 minutes to set up a wordpress blog (though I haven't made it public).
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try http://wordpress.com/ for a fully hosted version of Wordpress.

It does not offer all of the features of an installed hosted on your own server version, but it is close and great for a beginner.

Plus after you get the hang of it if you want to switch to a self hosted version this will make it easy to move the posts to the new blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi -
    I'd suggest getting XAMPP and practice with a local install -
    it's wonderful for testing your own themes ;-)

Have fun,
    El
    F-Fox 2.0 :: WIN :: el design :: US

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with jonny gulag try wordpress and then get own hosting when your ready.

This way you get used to wordpress and then you can move up to your own site and add plugins.

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually think DanLar75 would be as well getting hosting sooner rather than later. By the sounds of it he is going to go with the non developer hosted version of wordpress at one point so theres no harm in just jumping right in. Any problems he has with new blog will probably be with setting up a new site and ftp and whatnot, eg general problems which someone faces when getting a host for the first time rather than being unsure about using wordpress which is in my opinion very straight forward

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I am waiting for my design and stuff for my blog I will be starting I thought Id sign upto wordpress.com and give that a whirl for a bit, how does it do in the search engines? Also now ive signed up is there anything I should do, like a 'must do' thing that you always do when you start a new blog?

Not sure how I am gonna get traffic to it tho, with the blog I am gonna be doing I will obviously advertise but dont wan too for this one as its more of a test (But with some nice content too so would still like it to be read)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also is there a way to see stats like referrers/keywords etc?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross19821982 View Post
    While I am waiting for my design and stuff for my blog I will be starting I thought Id sign upto wordpress.com and give that a whirl for a bit, how does it do in the search engines? Also now ive signed up is there anything I should do, like a 'must do' thing that you always do when you start a new blog?

Not sure how I am gonna get traffic to it tho, with the blog I am gonna be doing I will obviously advertise but dont wan too for this one as its more of a test (But with some nice content too so would still like it to be read)
    Well, the first thing is that you cannot put ads on Wordpress.com free blogs. If you want to do ads, you'll be better setting Wordpress on your own hosting plan. Blogger allows ads though so that might be a good one to play with.

The must thing to do when you start a blog is add content. You need good quality content to attract and keep traffic, and it's good when you update the content frequently. Search engines like to see new content when they come crawling by.

But first consider changing from wordpress.com if putting ads up is something you want to do.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Google Analytics for this, but there are many tools out there. Once you have a hosting plan your hosting account may offer some kind of stats too. Analytics shows you referrers and keywords and a lot of other stuff.

Another good one is to submit your blog to mybloglog.com and set up their stats. But if you want to see present stats you would need to pay after their trial period, so it may not be the best choice. I personally prefer analytics and it's free.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am not really looking to earn money from this, just learn the ropes and also add some content, its more like a test, my *proper* blog I will be launching soon I will be hosting myself.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by einsteinsboi View Post
    I use Google Analytics for this, but there are many tools out there. Once you have a hosting plan your hosting account may offer some kind of stats too. Analytics shows you referrers and keywords and a lot of other stuff.

Another good one is to submit your blog to mybloglog.com and set up their stats. But if you want to see present stats you would need to pay after their trial period, so it may not be the best choice. I personally prefer analytics and it's free.
    I am talking about on wordpress.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soo cool that so many is eager to help me!

I am going to need Ads on my blog (in the process of setting up a whole blog-ring), since I'm allready hovering at 30k views a month, and 12k unique with crappy design.

My blogs are centered around TV Shows, and doing amazingly well for being online less than two weeks.

Thank you ALL for the great suggestions! I'm currently waiting for some incoming cash (invoices) to be delivered before i can set my plan into action.

Daniel

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also,
    does anyone have any idea if there is any value in a high-visitor blog-ring (10 blogs with the same design, and content type) or is it purely based on advertising income?

Im projecting having about 250k pageviews a month and 150k unique.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am not really looking to earn money from this, just learn the ropes and also add some content, its more like a test, my *proper* blog I will be launching soon I will be hosting myself.
    Ah I see.. my mistake... I missed that when I read your post the first time... sorry about that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah you are absolutely right.wordpress interface is easy to work.and it is more powerful than others.it provides more facilities than others

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed wordpress is very easy to install and manage

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeap, you are lucky, you pick the best blogging platform.

I'm using Lunarpages.com and they have fantastico to walk you through the wordpress installation.

To find out more guide about wordpress, check out their documentation, it's pretty comprehensive, except maybe you need advise on which plugin to use.
    1. Make Money Online Now Resource Center!
    2. Ask Blog Expert For Your Blogging Solution.
    3. Read Free Guide Make Money Online Now!
    4. Make Money Online Real Success!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can i put ads on my wordpress blog www.neeshu.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kean_ View Post
    Yeap, you are lucky, you pick the best blogging platform.

I'm using Lunarpages.com and they have fantastico to walk you through the wordpress installation.

To find out more guide about wordpress, check out their documentation, it's pretty comprehensive, except maybe you need advise on which plugin to use.
    yup the what you see is what you get plugin is the must and wordpress blogs on wordpress lag the css editor and other options I dont think i will be able to put ads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Wordpress.com Stats plugin. It's super easy to set up (just like any other Wordpress plugin) and customized especially to track Wordpress blogs.