User Tag List

Thread: Links in posts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Links in posts

Hi,
    I'm sure this is staring me in the face somewhere but I'm darned if I can find it.

Where is some information about when and what links we can leave in our posts?

I haven't had it happen to me yet, but I've seen quite a few posts lately which have had links to sites removed, often when I've needed the link to respond to the question being asked and I'm not sure why they've been removed. Sometimes it's obvious why links have been removed, but lately I've noticed lots of links from what look like genuine posters (not spam) being removed as well hence the question. I'd rather not land myself in trouble for posting links when I'm not allowed, I've already got in trouble for something else recently :P Incidentally, this is the only forum I've ever got into trouble on, so I'm a little paranoid round here now!

cheers,
    Ryan

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot post links to your own sites, except when explicitly asking for help with problems on a certain page. See the forum guidelines for more information.

SitePoint Forums has a strict policy on self-promotion. Links that are deemed self-promotional will be removed, and repeat offences of this kind may lead to temporary or permanent banning from the forums.

You can, under certain circumstances, include links to your own sites in your signature.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tommy,

Linking to your own web pages or pages from sites which you are affiliated with (including affiliate links) will be deemed as self-promotion and could result in the loss of your membership.
    Is using my own site as an example for something okay? I quite often do that on here, but haven't been questioned about it yet. I've also seen in it done by quite a few others with no repercussions. This is the last place I'd come to advertise my sites anyway, they're not going to be of interest to anyone here - unless they happen to play ice hockey in Dunedin, New Zealand :P

Here's an example of what I mean:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...58&postcount=2

From those rules it technically looks like I'm breaking them, but that seems a bit odd since I'm only providing the links to help.

thanks,
    Ryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not OK, as I interpret the guidelines (and there has been extensive discussions about this among the moderators).

The only time it would be acceptable to include a link to your own site (outside the signature) is when you're asking for help about a particular problem on that page.

Links such as the one you referred to sometimes slip through the net, but that doesn't make them acceptable.

There are pros and cons with this philosophy, but it's how SitePoint Forums has chosen to do and every one of us have promised to follow those guidelines when we signed up as members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. I guess self promoting links are an inherent problem for web design forums

I'll try to remember not to post links to my own site then!

Ryan,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The optimum strategy would be to allow links like the one you used, and forbid purely promotional links. But that would raise the issue of where to draw the line (and spammers can be quite inventive at times). It's simply easier to say 'no self-promo, period' although the drawback is that we're not allowed to link to our own articles that may answer somebody's question.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should only put your url in a post when you need help with it. Site review or for people to see the problem your having.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Tommy said, we've been talking about this lately - a lot. I can't say anything else (other than what I've said) otherwise Tony and Vito will show up at my house and offer to "take me for a ride" (if you know what I mean).

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    It's simply easier to say 'no self-promo, period' although the drawback is that we're not allowed to link to our own articles that may answer somebody's question.
    That's totally weird then... if you (generally speaking) have an article or a demo on a site that is going to help someone asking a question, I don't see why it can't be linked to... esp. if you only link to that particular page - not an entry page and they are left to find the article themselves

Nadia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe me, Nadia, this argument has come up in the discussions.
    The final decision was to 'just say no'. That way there won't be any discussions about whether or not a link is 'worthy'.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that case, I"d better not link to Dreamweaver stuff on my resources page :-) I'd hate to get kicked out <lol> especially now that I've only just got back here after a bit of an absence.

Nadia