User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wordpress resources

Hi,

I am going to be doing my blog soon and maybe another one if that goes ok, I am worried about the reports of all the resources WP takes up.

I have a dedicated box, it's a Dual Opteron with 2gb ram, this already runs a 70k+ a day uniques and a 20k+ a day uniques websites, no problems with that, I am worried tho about adding the WP to that dedi and the WP messing up meaning all my sites going down - I will be pumping good traffic into my blog via advertising for a week or so to get it going (Around 10k uniques a day) and as I said dont want that to make everything go down.

Am i worrying over nothing? I will obviously pay a WP admin guy to optimize WP so it uses up the least resources, but am still worried about it, I was gonna use a VPS to begin with but again I am not sure if that would handle it because I am reading bad things about resources WP takes up with cpu usage and spikes etc.

What do you think?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dedicated server will probably survive if you install a wordpress blog but I would go with a dedicated server because if you already run websites with a lot of traffic chances are you will only go up and since you plan on making another massive traffic blog it will take a lot of resources so that could slow down your overall performance. But that's just my opinion so don't take it for granten because I'm no server expert!
    MarketFederation - Daily Blogging Tips and Web 2.0 Development

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I haven't had a single issue with Wordpress that I didn't cause. I think a VPS can handle wordpress just fine. If you have other reasons for going with a dedicated box, that is one thing, but I wouldn't if the only consideration is Wordpress.
    Sara