User Tag List

Thread: RackShack.net

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RackShack.net

I'm thinking about buying a dedicated server soon, Rackshack seems to have the best packages. So does anyone have any feedback on them?
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

I have an opinion...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple friends that have servers over at rackshack, and they all seem pretty pleased. I know the prices are definately good.
    Egotist: A person more interested in himself than in me.
    KodeKrash - Eidix - Barrie LUG

Are you ready for BSD? Marshall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RackShack doesn't reverse-DNS IP addresses to machines on their network. This means that sending email from a RackShack-hosted machine may fail, depending on the strictness of the target email server's configuration.

Other than that, I've have no problems with their service.

- Marshall

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard a lot about RackShack good and bad. I also believe that prequel is reselling their services as an affiliate. Anyway, I have tried to keep up a bit with what is being said about them (by customers) because the price sure is right.

Some info:

1) The outgoing bandwidth seems to be mainly going through Cogent. Nothing bad about that - Cogent seem to be offering too good a deal on their bandwidth, and many people will argue that their Tier-1 peering arrangements are poor - but bugger me, I don't understand most of that, and as long as the connection works OK, then it seems to be fit for the job. (I mean, latency of 100ms or 30ms - does it really matter?). Anyway, whether Cogent will be around in the long run is another story, but you can say that about anyone at the moment.

2) A lot of people seem to complain about their tech support. First they are hosting around 2000 dedicated servers at the moment out of their Dallas facilities. Wow - that's a lot, so you can see that their whole business model is geared toward a scale that not many hosts are operating at (relative to all the other hosts out their who are hosting more like 200-400 or so servers). So you will be dealing with a tech support monkey when you call/email for support, and I have heard some worrying stories of tech staff, restoring a server when that was complete overkill for the problem. But this is just hearsay I am reporting.

On the other hand, one of the problems is that this type of deal is attracting the "low end" of the market, and complete web hosting newbies that really don't understand that it is their server, and it is not managed, and they are the sysadmin of the server, not RackShack.net from who they are leasing the server. People who think they are going to get by managing everything through a control panel and wouldn't have a clue about updating the kernel or wonder why their disk partition gets used up by 1GB log files that have not been rotated in three months.

3) Price does not include sales tax which they charge on top of quoted price. I have read a whole debate on Texan Sales Tax law, but, anyway, that is the deal.

4) Rackshack are basically using the same marketing tack as many shared hosting providers. Give the user a bandwidth limit that 80% are never going to come close to using, but which will make them feel comfortable (no risk of incuring overage charges) and which will make the deal seem a real bargain. Ask yourself, are you really going to use anything near 300GB? I understand that some of RackShacks customers do - so they do deliver on this - but they also know 80% of their customers will never come anywhere close to it.

Basically, when and if I exceed my bandwidth allocation that I get under my current contract with Pegasus Web Technologies (www.pwebtech.com) I will consider and might well get a rackshack.net server. It would be perfect for running a mail server (although no reverse DNS is an inconvenience, I have not set up reverse DNS for my current server and 99% of the mail it sends out is accepted by other mail servers). It would also be great for hosting static files such as serving image files for web sites.

Um, I am probably being too conservative. I have heard of happy RackShack.net customers that have many servers with them.

Well, that is mearly hearsay. But it might be of interest. I would also recommend you send of an email to pwebtech.com who are my host. I am pretty happy with them. I am on their DCJN network, which is a lesser quality network from the NAC.net network they also use (seems to be mainly level3 bandwidth with some other connections for redundancy). But heck it is just fine for me and really is a good quality network, and pwebtech are pretty good on the support and general assitance front. I am paying $129 per month for a P750 500MB RAM, 4GB HDD (server is 6 months old now, you might get more modern specs for the price) and 100GB data transfer. This was a special they ran 6 months ago, and I know they did not repeat it, so am not sure what their pricing would be - but they quote competitively.

Um, I only post the above, because I am genuinely fairly happy with pwebtech. When I compare my experience to what others who have used other similarly priced "budget" dedicated hosts have had to say about their experieces, on balance, I am happy I went with pwebtech.

But I would give rackshack a go too.

BTW, they have a support forum which you can access from their web site. I have not poked around there for while, but it would be well worth trying to pick up the vibe by reading throug it.

Last edited by freakysid; Feb 17, 2002 at 08:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually i don't resell rackshack.net services just get affiliate sales from rackshack.net's affiliate program

most of the crucial points have been touched on above..

for myself i only have a raq4 with rackshack.net and a dedicated server with venturesonline and in the near future will have more servers for my hosting biz

i have stopped recommending rackshack.net for their new intel/amd servers as their support doesn't even accomodate people paying for additional support ..

i know people who have had problems with their intel/amd rackshack.net servers and rackshack.net support either said they don't provide support for that and it's up to you (fair enough since what do you expect for $107/mo (including taxes)

but with rackshack.net there is not even the option to pay a tech support charge for them to look at?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its possible to set up reverse DNS for a rackshack server, just ask em, and they will set up the required DNS records...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you buy, I HIGHLY reccomment you check out webhostingtalk.com

specifically here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd...p?s=&forumid=4

There are some incredible deals, like this:

These are the current amazing offers.
    Dedicated Server 1
    P3 1Ghz
    256MB
    40GB
    300GB Multi Homed
    APC MasterSwitch
    $139
    0 Install
    Dedicated Server 2
    AMD XP1700
    256MB 40GB
    300GB Multi Homed
    APC MasterSwitch
    $139
    139 install

Dedicated Server 3
    P3 1Ghz
    256MB 40GB
    300GB Multi Homed
    APC MasterSwitch
    $99 Monthly
    $275 install

Dedicated Server 4
    AMD XP1700
    256MB
    40GB
    300GB Multi Homed
    APC MasterSwitch
    $99 monthly
    $414 install

99$ a month for like a super computer LOL.

I'm looking at buying from this guy, so far he has been very professional.