Thread: asp.net vs php?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

asp.net vs php?

Hi,
    Just to make it clear, i am not trying to start an endless debate regarding these programming languages. I am working on a search engine project with a friend who is a talented programmer in asp.net (over 7 years experience).

Now i have never worked with asp.net all website scripts i have worked with have been in php (vbulletin, shopping cart scripts). Just wanted to know what the main differences are, is it a bad choice going with asp.net?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, feel free to close this thread. Thats enough information to keep me busy for a while

Sorry!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition your basicly throwing out any advice from your programmer who has 7 YEARS experience in .NET????

weird...
    http://www.jojowebdesign.com
    "In the end, more is actually said, than done.."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry to say this, but many PHP'ers (usually the self-taught single-language zealous types) are in complete ignorance about ASP.NET. No where is that more evident than in those threads. You can usually spot them when they call it ASP (without the .NET suffix). Anyone who realizes the difference will *always* remember the .NET suffix.

Some of them have seen/tried ASP (classic) and believe that ASP.NET is "just" the next version. Classic ASP has more in common with PHP than ASP.NET. They completely fail to realize that we are dealing with a conceptually new beast (ASP.NET) which operates on a much higher level of abstraction than PHP (make up your own opinion on whether that is good or bad).

I guess that they simply lack the imagination to realize that templates can be (truly) declarative (like xhtml/css is), that code/markup separation can be inherent, that controllers can be composable, that you can do AJAX without coding one line of JavaScript.

Unlike PHP, ASP.NET *is* the framework. And although you may still code using the "inverted script" idiom of the scripting technologies (ASP, PHP, etc) nobody does that. Instead they go for the object/component-oriented high-level declarative model using coarse grained components.

It has proven to be enormously productive, robust, secure (much more so than PHP), performant, scalable, extensible and flexible.

Of course there's also downsides. Usually you hear that it is "windows only". Well, it might be a concern (for me it is not, hosting Windows is as cheap as PHP; administering IIS is more consistent than Apache). My own biggest "cons" are 1) the alluring ViewState which - if unchecked - quickly develops into a bandwidth-eating monster; and 2) all the features means that the inewbie often will implement something which is built-in. Looking at Rails, the data access of .NET definately could be a lot smoother, too.

ASP.NET and PHP are both tools, and thus is only part of the equation. SP has a lot of high-class PHP developers (just witness the discussions over at PHP Application Design). An expert developer can easily make up for any (comparative) weaknesses of the tool, especially if he keeps an open mind end learn the strengths and weaknesses of not just his own toolbox but also those of the competing technologies.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyone who knows what they are talking about will talk about .NET, ASP, and CGI as three possible frameworks for connecting programs to the web.

PHP is just one of the languages that can be used with a CGI framework in the same way that JScript is one language that can be used with an ASP or .NET framework. Neither CGI nor ASP was necessarily better or worse than the other, they were just two different ways of achieving the same outcome although each supported different languages that can be used with the framework. In most cases these languages are reasonably equivalent in what each can do as well. The .NET takes things to a new level where the web is only one of a range of places where it can be used which may or may not be relevant depending on what it is you are trying to use it for.

The biggest advantage that the one you know best has is the fact that you know it best and can therefore use it more effectively than you can use one of the others. If you know several different languages and frameworks then you can choose the one that is most appropriate to a given task which will vary depending on the particular task and the limitations that you are presented with as to how and wher it needs to run. The more products you know and the better you know them the more opportunities that you will have.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot guys, that was exactly what i need. A good summary of what both languages really mean. Neither one is better than the other, but depends the programmers current skills in that area and his capability of using them to achieve his goals.

Quote Originally Posted by danjojo View Post
    In addition your basicly throwing out any advice from your programmer who has 7 YEARS experience in .NET????

weird...
    I wasn't throwing away a programmer of 7 years worth of experience, i wanted to know about the differences between the two programming languages, as i have not heard much of asp.net HENCE the reason why i created this thread.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uh huh..

And what did he tell you about .net?
    http://www.jojowebdesign.com
    "In the end, more is actually said, than done.."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in programming, there is not difference btw asp.net and PHP,

however, in commerence, asp.net is better than php,,,,,

supported by MS, more productive, more$$$$$$$, more optunity,,,,
    a software developer

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vb_vs View Post
    however, in commerence, asp.net is better than php,,,,,

supported by MS, more productive, more$$$$$$$, more optunity,,,,
    Baloney. I'd love to see if you have any reliable sources to back this up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Baloney. I'd love to see if you have any reliable sources to back this up.
    Didn't you know that Microsoft pays you to use .NET?

Clearly it's better for commerce!

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, but if it's not true, why is SitePoint inundated with people complaining that PHP gigs don't pay appropriately?

If you think PHP pays as well, then you're saying that this site is run by liars. Or you haven't been reading it.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chroniclemaster1 View Post
    I'm sorry, but if it's not true, why is SitePoint inundated with people complaining that PHP gigs don't pay appropriately?

If you think PHP pays as well, then you're saying that this site is run by liars. Or you haven't been reading it.
    - The fact that PHP jobs tend to pay less than J2EE or .NET jobs is irrelevant when answering a question that seemed to be about the relevant technical merits of either one.

- There is nothing inherent to either PHP or .NET (the languages) that leads to lower pay. This is simply due to market dynamics. Large supply of PHP developers (with no formal basis for a hiring party to differentiate good from bad) leads to lower financial return.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danjojo View Post

weird...
    I'd throw out advice from someone saying they have 7 years' experience in .NET as well, unless their resume said they were working for MS in 2000-2001. .NET didn't come out until 2002 and I don't hire liars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    I'd throw out advice from someone saying they have 7 years' experience in .NET as well, unless their resume said they were working for MS in 2000-2001. .NET didn't come out until 2002 and I don't hire liars
    Maybe he was an early beta-tester?

It's like those job ads looking for 8 years experience with Oracle 11.

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viflux View Post
    It's like those job ads looking for 8 years experience with Oracle 11.

I know, don't you get all nostaligic for that good old 1999 version of Oracle 11
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is very clearly that, assume that, you got 1years work experience on PHP, and he got 1 years work experience on Asp.net,

can you tell me who will get more annual package,,,,,,,,,

As known, it is very heard for junior PHP programmer to get the job ( almost company require at leat 3-5 years work experience,,,,,)
    however, there are lots of optunity for junior asp.net programmer,,,,,

i know some people in this forum like PHP, they really have done very fantastic jobs. respect your guys, however, the truth is asp.net is gorwing fast, and more and more company gives up PHP, they only keeps some PHP maintainace ability,,,,,
    we are living a commercial world,,,,,,

faster, more profits, more famous(in non-IT people ), that is why my company choose asp.net
    a software developer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vb_vs View Post
    faster, more profits, more famous(in non-IT people ), that is why my company choose asp.net
    Baloney. I'd like to see you cite credible references for this statement.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stymiee, what's your gripe with .NET?

The fact is .NET can do a lot more than PHP can. It also tends to be more scalable, more easily, because it was built with enterprise development in mind. PHP's fine for simple web sites, but .NET thrives in many places where PHP just cannot compare.

And don't throw cases out where PHP has been used successfully for large web sites; there are always fringe cases. It's just a lot easier to create such kinds of sites in .NET.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nothing .NET can do that PHP CAN'T do. I'm a huge believer in .NET (you only need to read the original thread references to see that). But we've built a multi-million dollar company on PHP, and nothing we do would be "better" with .NET.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullett View Post
    is it a bad choice going with asp.net?
    Is going with asp.net a bad choice for what? Sorry, but how is anybody supposed to answer such a broad question?

I use both .net and php extensively. I have my opinions about which one I like better, for what applications, and why.... but that really doesn't mean much for you and your friend.

Are you asking if it's worthwhile for you to learn something new? Only you know the answer.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I disagree. But even if not there are things that .NET can do much better and more efficiently than PHP. I don't think there's any denying that for anyone who has experience in .NET.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W. View Post
    There's nothing .NET can do that PHP CAN'T do. I'm a huge believer in .NET (you only need to read the original thread references to see that). But we've built a multi-million dollar company on PHP, and nothing we do would be "better" with .NET.
    There are alot of things .NET can do that PHP cannot do because it is a fundamentally different beast. I think you probably meant there is nothing one can do in ASP.NET that one could not do in PHP.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devbanana View Post
    stymiee, what's your gripe with .NET?
    They said that Asp.Net is faster then PHP. That's not true in terms of performance or development time. Sure, they make some things easier then others, but they also make some thing take longer then others. And if you use a framework in PHP suddenly Asp.Net's advantages over straight PHP start to disappear.

They also said you can make more profits with .Net then PHP. That's total baloney no matter how you look at it.

And more famous? To who?

I have nothing against .Net. My partner is a great .Net programmer and we use it when we have to. You use the right tool for the job. But I am against ignorant statements being made without due citations.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whether you can do things easier in .NET than you can with PHP would depend on which programming language you run under .NET in the same way that different things can be done easier in different languages under CGI.

For a proper comparison you would need to compare VB, JScript, C#, C++ etc under .NET with PHP, PERL, Python, Ruby etc under CGI.

Other influencing factors would include the individual programmer's familiarity with each programming language, the number of other languages they are familiar with, company policy, available resources, etc.

If one solution were obviously better than the others in all circumstances then there would be a slow migration to that better solution unless there were a serious marketing campaign by the writers of one of the not so good alternatives. In either case usage of the alternative languages would shift and that isn;'t happening to any significant degree.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">