User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shipping to the UK

Hi -
    This isn't a post on the content of a book but just a suggestion on how you ship to the UK. Don't know if this is the appropriate place for it?

I received a copy of Simply Javascript today - but not until I'd had to fork out an extra 11.59 in customs and postal charges (somewhere around $20, which more or less doubled the price of the initial book). I have spoken to customs here who have agreed to refund most of that once I've written to them, but I thought it would be worth making a few suggestions which would help your customers in the UK from having to go through the same rigmarole:

1 - If you're sending books, could you list them as such on your customs declaration. Listing them as 'educational material' automatically makes them liable for value added tax (VAT) whereas books are zero rated for VAT.

2 - Can you list the shipping costs separately rather than lump the cost all together? The reason for this is that if the value of the product is over 18 the package attracts customs charges, whereas if it is under 18 it does not. Most of your books come in at under until you add the $7 shipping charge to it.

3 - I guess you've attached a $1 charge to the free poster for some technical reason? But if you can find a way to avoid this, it will make it easier to list the chargeable items as only books.

For any UK customers who have found themselves paying this and would like to reclaim the cost, you need to send a copy of the receipt showing that the item was a book and that the value of the book without shipping costs was under the 18 threshold to the HM Revenue & Customs Office address on the package. They will re-imburse you the VAT and you can then take their letter to the Royal Mail and use it to reclaim the mysterious 8 'International Clearance Fee'.

Hope that proves useful - it's a relatively small amount of cash but I don't see why we should have to pay it if we don't have to!

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have not had this problem with shipping to the UK. They have usually arrived between 8-10 business days. Though I have never really known why they take that lenght of time. Perhaps customs are cracking down.

Interestingly, on my last 3 purchaces from sitepoint I've noticed variations in the 'total' costs listed on the customs form.

My only other suggestion would be to change the country for delivery from 'England' to 'UK'. Not everybody living in the UK lives in England

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same with me Andy. This must be the fifth or sixth SP book I've bought and I've never had a problem before - but customs are getting more astute about items brought in from abroad so I guess I'm unlikely to be the only one.

Not so sure about changing the country of delivery - I guess the same HM Revenue and Customs regs apply whichever of the four provinces, dukedoms or principalities you live in!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Shipping to the UK

I also had to pay the 11.59. Hope something can be done to overcome this problem, as it is enough to put me off ordering direct from Sitepoint. Have also noticed that www.amazon.co.uk and www.compman.com do not seem to have Sitepoints latest titles in stock upon release any more. These two suppliers often sell the books at 34% off the recommended retail price and there is no Customs charge when books are purchased in the UK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have no doubt sitepoint will be listening in and investigating

Team SitePoint
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I have no doubt sitepoint will be listening in and investigating
    We are looking into the situation.
    Simon Mackie

Team SitePoint
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grindforce View Post
    Have also noticed that www.amazon.co.uk and www.compman.com do not seem to have Sitepoints latest titles in stock upon release any more. These two suppliers often sell the books at 34% off the recommended retail price and there is no Customs charge when books are purchased in the UK.
    Generally, we try to have books available from sitepoint.com first (often with a special offer on launch). We hope to resolve the customs issue.
    Simon Mackie

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reassuring to know other UK customers have had the same problems I did with paying customs. I was made to believe it was a handful of isolated incidents - evidently not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I could not find any info on the UK customs website about new changes to policy etc. I hope sitepoint are having more success getting through to these people. In the meantime I'm expecting 2 shiny new sitepoint books to arrive hopfully by the end of the week... I'll let you know if the same situation occurs.

Team SitePoint
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I could not find any info on the UK customs website about new changes to policy etc. I hope sitepoint are having more success getting through to these people. In the meantime I'm expecting 2 shiny new sitepoint books to arrive hopfully by the end of the week... I'll let you know if the same situation occurs.
    Thanks Andy, would be good to hear if the problem's been solved.
    Simon Mackie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The books arrived on Saturday without any problems from customs. Looks like it was an isolated set of people who had problems.

Team SitePoint
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it Andy
    Simon Mackie

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of all the orders I have made in the past with sitepoint I am as of yet to be billed for customs. I think I am correct in saying that all orders were valued at over £18 (the latest was at over £100 received yesterday).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My copy of the CSS Anthology arrived a few days ago and I am pleased to say that problem of the Customs charge does seem to have been resolved. Thank you Sitepoint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All is well that ends well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess SP is doing such a volume of business that customs are wondering what Messrs Mackie and Co are peddling. What's been hidden in between all those brackets and non-declarations? Hmmmm.
    Well receiving 9 books pretty much separately in France hasn't appeared to cause any problem, except one very slow delivery time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

hi, are the sitepoint team on holiday?

only that no one is answering support queries since last week.

I ordered 3 books (express delivery) on the 27th and received confirmation that it was shipped on the 28th and now it is almost the third week and my books have not arrived.

help....

Team SitePoint
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamiUK View Post
    hi, are the sitepoint team on holiday?

only that no one is answering support queries since last week.

I ordered 3 books (express delivery) on the 27th and received confirmation that it was shipped on the 28th and now it is almost the third week and my books have not arrived.

help....
    No, they're not on holiday but I know that the support team is under heavy load - they also don't work over the weekend. If you PM me your email address I'll see if I can get your query seen to.
    Simon Mackie

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wiipppeeee

sorry to bother Sitepoint Team, my books just arrived this morning. So much to read.

THANK YOU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it Sami. Hope you enjoy the books!
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.