User Tag List

Thread: Need Traffic!!

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Other than the search engines) could anyone offer suggestions to bringing a new site traffic. I've posted to various message boards and that helps but I would love it if my message board could be as successful as this one. I've seen how it can really help fuel in traffic, if you can just get it started.... http://www.AffiliateBlunders.com/discuss It's rather disappointing because getting the traffic to a new site is so difficult.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    OOPS! All the Things that Affiliates Do Wrong!!
    http://www.AffiliateBlunders.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vlad's right: Discuss is not (in my opinion) a very good choice for a Message Board...it doesn't have the look and feel of a message board and has an overall confusing interface...not to mention the (GASP!) use of FRAMES!

And here's something else I tell everyone whenever the opportunity arises: don't post a forum or chat room on your site unless you're traffic is already strong! The Forum itself doesn't bring in loads of traffic unless you already have loads of traffic...a near-empty forum is a real killer in terms of self-esteem and how people view your site...Matt did a fine job opening these forums when he did: when he knew they'd be a hit...I' concentrate on promotion and open the forums with a new script after you've got a solid userbase.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...promo is my thing

I give away a LOT of avice, services, and I even barter once in awhile. From that comes the beginnings of networking, and even long term friendships and business alliances. I'm always referring websites to other websites.

You have to get out and socialize on the 'Net. If you're an expert on something, write articles. Seek out any opportunties for free advertising. I'm always trying to help along those lines.

Press releases, reciprocal links, making sure your site is in engines/directories, including theme oriented ones. It takes awhile.

I've been at it since 1995 and still proceed as if I just launched. People have short memories <g>

Good luck!

Kim Krause