SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Kevin Yank's book: Build a Database cover PEAR::database class?

Does Kevin Yank's book: Build a Database cover PEAR::database class?

I've bought both of Harry Fuecks - PHP Anthology OOP PHP solutions Vol 1 & 2. He only scrapes on the surface when using SQL language with PEAR::database layer class.

So I was wondering if Kevin Yank's book teaches you how to use SQL with PEAR::database layer?
    Or does he only illustrate how to use hardcoded SQL?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My book sticks to hard-coded SQL.

I believe the 2nd edition of The PHP Anthology, currently in technical editing, provides more in-depth coverage of database abstraction layers like PEAR::database.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently working on the 2nd edition of The PHP Anthology and chapter 2 is dedicated to using PDO. It contains sections on accessing, creating, updating table data, handling errors, avoiding SQL injection attacks, creating flexible queries, transactions, using stored procedures, and more.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...since I'm not planning on buying the same book all over again when the revision edition comes out. Will you publish one book that covers PEAR:: database abstraction layer only?

I'm having a hard time getting an overview grip on it's patterns. I don't feel confident enough to code in abstract layers on my own , it's just not as pedagogic as procedural hardcoded SQL.

Hmm maybe I'll get it eventually when I've finished following the tutorials on PHP Ant. Vol 2 regarding how to create User login system....
    In the mean time do you know of any other books that teaches PEAR:: database abstraction for dummies?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, we know of no such book, and with PDO in PHP 5.2 now the preferred database abstraction layer for PHP, I doubt a book covering PEAR:atabase will be written in the future.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I guess I should stick to hard coded SQL and show the code to the Sitepoint forums for advise with converting it to PEAR or PDO whenever I'm done.
    I prefer not having to deal with Database Abstraction Layers I just don't get them Hard coded SQL might take longer to code but they're easier to understand I think.

Harry Fuecks speaks so highly about the Database Abstraction Layers in his 2 books so it's hard for me to argue against someone of that caliber. Maybe your SQL hardcoded book is more suitable for stubborn and old fashioned ppl like me.