SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Frustrated - Trying to Consolidate

I'm so frustrated with my hosting situation. I am currently hosting several sites all in various place - none of which have a huge amount of traffic. All-in-all I have five sites and only two of them are on the same server. The rest are scattered on several hosts. I also have a podcast I run hosted on Cachefly which uses about 300 GB of hard disk space. Overall I spend about $45 a month but one of the sites is hosted for free by a buddy of mine and I really need to move it off his equipment or start paying up.

The latest host I picked up was Media Temple on their Grid Server solution. I really thought I had found what I was looking for until I kept getting database connection errors. I've been their 3 weeks and have had issues on three separate occasions. I have a feeling it's just not going to fly. Their backend is great, response is awesome when the site is up and support is reasonable - but I can't put up with my dB occasionally going down.

I guess that's what I am looking for - a host that can handle a simple database connection - stay up 99.9 percent of the time - can be managed by someone who isn't afraid to get on a command line but would prefer not to for you basic tasks - and isn't going to cost me more than $50 a month.

I see all these threads suggesting this host or that, but they all look the same and offer basically the same thing. Anyone have advice?

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider looking into one of knownhost.com's VPS plans.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolbex View Post
    I'm so frustrated with my hosting situation. I am currently hosting several sites all in various place - none of which have a huge amount of traffic. All-in-all I have five sites and only two of them are on the same server. The rest are scattered on several hosts. I also have a podcast I run hosted on Cachefly which uses about 300 GB of hard disk space. Overall I spend about $45 a month but one of the sites is hosted for free by a buddy of mine and I really need to move it off his equipment or start paying up.

The latest host I picked up was Media Temple on their Grid Server solution. I really thought I had found what I was looking for until I kept getting database connection errors. I've been their 3 weeks and have had issues on three separate occasions. I have a feeling it's just not going to fly. Their backend is great, response is awesome when the site is up and support is reasonable - but I can't put up with my dB occasionally going down.

I guess that's what I am looking for - a host that can handle a simple database connection - stay up 99.9 percent of the time - can be managed by someone who isn't afraid to get on a command line but would prefer not to for you basic tasks - and isn't going to cost me more than $50 a month.

I see all these threads suggesting this host or that, but they all look the same and offer basically the same thing. Anyone have advice?
    I have four high trafficked sites all hosted on a VPS-Extreme package at HostICan. The sites include a WordPress blog, a vBulletin forum, and two MyBB forums, among other things. And two radio shows with lots of Podcast downloads.

They have better than 99.9% uptime (really!), and management is really simple. After the initial setup, in fact, pretty much all I do is check my stats periodically, and backup my files (I'm paranoid about such things).
    Peace,
    Gene Steinberg
    www.theparacast.com
    The foregoing comment has been censored by WHT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah hostican, was wondering when you would make it over here.
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : rwhmax@hotmail.com |
    AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax
    For more information send us a email, Here