SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many products per page?

How many products is too many to list on one page? I want to sell t shirts and I have them listed by categories. Some categories may have 50 different items. This seems like a lot to put on one page, what else can I do?
    Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Split it across 2 or 3 pages with next and prev buttons?

If you're images are well optimised and the page looks clear you can get away with lots of products on one page. It's how I personally like to shop but I've got a fast internet connection and ADD!:-)

Otherwise, 20 on a scrolling page looks good, 10 to keep it above the fold, depends on image size etc...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you can have a drop down to let visitors select from a few choices of how many products they want to see per page, and then display that number of products. Also include how many products there are total for that particular category. I might stay with 20 if there are 50 products, but if you have something like 200 products, I'll increase the number displayed per page so I don't have to go through 10 + pages.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I would personally go for 10 products per page as it always seems easier on the eyes to me. However why not create an options page that allows the users to select how many products they want to view per page. That way everyone is happy if they can select what they want and the user will feel more at ease with your site.

Dunc

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would I create an options page?

Thanks,
    Kevin

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have 10 per page. If you have to many site loads slower and people have to much to look at.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no perfect answer to this since every site and visitors needs are different. If you have 50 products in one particular category then I would say split it over several pages. Of course you should always put your best sellers top of the list so they appear on the first page, and your worst sellers last in the list.

Try experimenting with different ways of displaying products, ie all on one page or split pages, and see if it makes a difference to sales.